Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Letter R

Beast Over Hammersmith - Iron Maiden live at the iconic London venue 1982

David L

Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop

Thenop

Westing - Future. Band that fits the likes of Rival Sons, Greta van Fleet. Your cup of tea? Check them out:
https://westingband.bandcamp.com/album/future

pxr5

Crown Lands - Fearless (2023)  Very, very Rush sounding
Technical Prog Space Rock

The Flower Kings - Adam & Eve (2004)
Symph Modern Prog Retro Rock

The Flower Kings - Paradox Hotel (2006)
Virtuose Modern Prog Retro Rock

Haken - Vector (2018) Orange Vinyl
Dense Prog Metal/Rock

Black Country, New Road - Live At Bush Hall (2023, not on PA) Vinyl
Lush Art Rock/Pop

Gentle Giant - Interview (1976) Blu-ray
Technical Classic Prog Chamber Rock/Jazz

Frost* - Island Live (2023) Blu-ray
Neo Prog Rock, 4.5 stars

Generated at tagyourmusic.org

The Picnic Wasp

Fearless is amazing. I couldn't make up my mind at first if it was really just a Rush parody, but it's much cleverer than that. So many Rush (and other) influences blended into a seamless concoction which is much more than a prog-rock Rutles album. My first listen was constantly interrupted by mind saying silently
"Oh that's and that's" before the track darts off immediately in another completely original direction. However I think their next album would have to be entirely removed from this type of influencing, or they will lose credibility. I don't think that's likely as they are extremely talented.

pxr5

It's a fine line between parody and paying tribute. And I think Crown Lands are in the latter camp, but I could hear a lot of Rush sounds from various songs and albums which to me is a good thing and never dropped into direct copying. The guys obviously have talent and I'm sure they'll find they're own way. Oddly I could hear some Black Sabbath vibes too - notably from Never Say Die.

Mystery are another band where one can hear elements of Rush as well - they're Canadian too, maybe there is something in the water up there lol.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: pxr5 on August 08, 2023, 06:16:32 PMIt's a fine line between parody and paying tribute. And I think Crown Lands are in the latter camp, but I could hear a lot of Rush sounds from various songs and albums which to me is a good thing and never dropped into direct copying. The guys obviously have talent and I'm sure they'll find they're own way. Oddly I could hear some Black Sabbath vibes too - notably from Never Say Die.

Mystery are another band where one can hear elements of Rush as well - they're Canadian too, maybe there is something in the water up there lol.

Well they do call them hosers.😁

dom

Just listened to Vapor Trails on Spotify. Highly under-rated imo and it's better than anything they came up with subsequently.

Odd thing though Freeze, part IV of Fear didn't play. No bad thing as it is dire, but wondering why?

David L

Quote from: dom on August 09, 2023, 09:54:56 PMJust listened to Vapor Trails on Spotify. Highly under-rated imo and it's better than anything they came up with subsequently.

Odd thing though Freeze, part IV of Fear didn't play. No bad thing as it is dire, but wondering why?
There's some good stuff on there. I'd rather listen to it than Roll the Bones

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: dom on August 09, 2023, 09:54:56 PMJust listened to Vapor Trails on Spotify. Highly under-rated imo and it's better than anything they came up with subsequently.

I couldn't wait for this album's release. Listening to snippets on a dial-up internet connection with my first computer. Remember Gateway? Secret Touch in definitely one of their greatest ever live songs.

Red Lenses

REM - Eponymous on the way into work this evening.

Fishy

Quote from: David L on August 09, 2023, 10:53:31 PM

VT just gives me a headache.. it's far too long. If they ditched crap like Freeze Sweet Miracle the plod fest of Earthshine and a couple of others they might have a decent album

From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

I quite like the first four tracks on RtB.. the rest not so much
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on August 10, 2023, 07:14:27 AM

I quite like the first four tracks on RtB.. the rest not so much
That aligns pretty much with my own opinion. The latter tracks are terrible.
Should have been an EP  :D 
The best thing about that era is the return of long hair for Alex (as we know, that was short-lived)
;D