Main Menu

BEAT tour

Started by Thenop, April 02, 2024, 06:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

https://beat-tour.com/

Well, I think the  musicians are very good, but I am not sure..
Pro: it has Belew & Levin,plus Danny Carey whom I admire greatly.
Con: you guessed, it has Vai, whom I also admire greatly but would not associate with KCs output in a million years. Then again, I would not have associated him with Whitesnake either and that worked..oh wait..

Fishy

Any sign of UK / European dates?
From The Land of Honest Men

Thenop

Quote from: Fishy on April 02, 2024, 09:15:30 PMAny sign of UK / European dates?

Not on the site no, just US so far. I'm guessing that's testing the water. Then again, it's a band made up from 4 Americans.

captainkurtz

Vai was apparently Fripp's first choice.  Carey is an absolute monster behind the kit.  I'm all over this like stink on a tramp if it comes over the water...

Fishy

Yeah Discipline and Beat are pretty good Three of a perfect pair is fairly heavy going I seem to remember..

Slim

Steve Vai is first and foremost a disciplined musician, which is the main reason he was in Zappa's band. I have to think he'll be brilliant in this. I believe this will be the only time he's ever played in a band with a guitar player who's even better than he is!
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on April 03, 2024, 11:18:43 AMSteve Vai is first and foremost a disciplined musician, which is the main reason he was in Zappa's band. I have to think he'll be brilliant in this. I believe this will be the only time he's ever played in a band with a guitar player who's even better than he is!

I rate Vai quite high, I am just surprised with the combination. Everything he plays on sounds "Vai-ified", I guess that's my point and whether that suits this specific era of KCs we need to see.

You mean to say you consider Belew the better guitar player of the 2? He might actually be.. I remember the commotion when Porcupine Tree's Deadwing was released and the PT fan community was displeased with his wonderful solo on the title track. Made me appreciate him even more.

Fishy

Seems Fripp was approached to do it but declined.. shame..

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on April 03, 2024, 12:52:08 PMYou mean to say you consider Belew the better guitar player of the 2? He might actually be.. I remember the commotion when Porcupine Tree's Deadwing was released and the PT fan community was displeased with his wonderful solo on the title track. Made me appreciate him even more.

In all seriousness I don't think it's sensible to compare guitar players at that level in that way, ie to assess one as "better" than the other but Belew impresses me even more than Vai does, and that's saying a lot.

Both played in Zappa's band come to think of it, though not at the same time.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on April 03, 2024, 03:26:38 PMIn all seriousness I don't think it's sensible to compare guitar players at that level in that way, ie to assess one as "better" than the other but Belew impresses me even more than Vai does, and that's saying a lot.

Both played in Zappa's band come to think of it, though not at the same time.

I agree, comparing artists on those terms is silly. They are so different. And you are right: they both played with Zappa, I didn't even think of that.
I think the overall popular opinion is that Vai, as a guitar wizard, impressed in the late 80's early 90's with those solo albums and as DLR guitar player. Flashy solos and shiny colours go a long way it seems...luckily he had the chops to pull it off.

Come to think of it: I am curious how this will sound. Beat and mainly Discipline I think are fantastic records.

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on April 03, 2024, 08:27:46 AMYeah Discipline and Beat are pretty good Three of a perfect pair is fairly heavy going I seem to remember..
Odd that I like Three of a Perfect Pair of the best of the three.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy