Competitive Cycling

Started by Nickslikk2112, June 16, 2023, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Some injured in an early big crash, but it is hot and JumboVisma is pushing like crazy. Let's see if they can crack Pogacar.

Nickslikk2112

Don't normally post during a stage, but gutted for James Shaw - and other abandons - as I won't be able to say I get passed on the roads by a TdF finisher. Looking interesting so far.

Thenop

At least 1 moteur should have it's licensed pulled immediately.
Powerplay from 2 teams today, already looking forward to tomorrow!
Vingegaard won 1 second today...
Well done Rodriguez, where 2 fight...

Nickslikk2112

That was bonkers.
Thought Pog was going to put it bed when he attacked up the Joux Plane. Vingegaard fights back, Pog's bonus second sprint was blocked by motorbikes then he messes up attempt two.

Ten seconds between first and second, one between third and fourth.

Hopefully blow for blow again tomorrow.

And Pidcock isn't a GC rider, certainly not at Grand Tour level.

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 15, 2023, 02:53:29 PMDon't normally post during a stage, but gutted for James Shaw - and other abandons - as I won't be able to say I get passed on the roads by a TdF finisher. Looking interesting so far.

Ditto for Bardet. He's not at his best level but it's a real shame injury ended the tour for him

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on July 15, 2023, 05:00:45 PMAt least 1 moteur should have it's licensed pulled immediately.
Powerplay from 2 teams today, already looking forward to tomorrow!
Vingegaard won 1 second today...
Well done Rodriguez, where 2 fight...
I think the moteurs were stuck between a rock and a hard place. Impossible to accelerate because of the huge mad crowd in front and Pogacar like a rocket behind.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on July 15, 2023, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 15, 2023, 02:53:29 PMDon't normally post during a stage, but gutted for James Shaw - and other abandons - as I won't be able to say I get passed on the roads by a TdF finisher. Looking interesting so far.

Ditto for Bardet. He's not at his best level but it's a real shame injury ended the tour for him
Serves him right. He doesn't like Goats...

I think Sky were thinking of signing Bardet at one time, David Brailsford had the desire to make a French TdF champion.

Thenop

Wout Poels! What a win! Fantastic, third week Wout, Froome's helper in years gone.

Pogacar and Vingegaard fascinating how nothing happened. All that tension and then.. Nothing.

Roll on the 3rd week.

Now watching Poels for Dutch TV, very emotional.

Nickslikk2112

Mrs S is very pleased for Wout Poels.

But what was Pog doing? Does he want to make sure the drama lasts longer?

Shame about the spectator caused crash near the start.

I don't normally care for Time Trials, but Tuesday should be interesting.

Thenop

Spectator found himself more important than the riders. Idiot.

Pogacar, don't know, maybe he wasn't good enough today. My guess is he wants to do the TT full on bur we know Vingegaard can do that as well....

Thenop

Holy sh!t.
What a difference  :o

What more is there to say?
Pogacar stupidly changing bikes, but he was already lost.

Wow.

Nickslikk2112

Can't believe that. Thoughts of "Special Vitamins" are creeping into my head. I thought there might be about 5-10 seconds between them at the end. But Pog being 1'15" ahead of WvA then Vingegaard 1'30" ahead of Pog. Pog's bike change was stupid, but in the end didn't cost him that much.

Maybe UAE have a cunning plan for tomorrow, Who knows.

Adam Yates now in a podium position, the Yates twins have upped their TT skills.

Thenop

So, it's done. Pogacar just broke, that's it, Tour over.
Lovely stage win for Gall, saw his post race interview, he was very emotional. Looks like Yates can go for 2nd place if he pushes and gets the green light.

Nickslikk2112

Lizard Lips has got it then - barring an accident and I think he's about the only one in the peleton I haven't seen hit the deck yet.

Surprised that the commentators didn't see the imminent popping of Pogagcar, as soon as I saw his jersey fully unzipped I told Mrs S that he'd done.

And Felix Gall should have said "Who vaz dat?" when Ben O'Connor came to congratulate him on his win.

And finally so glad the sun was out all day, love the Alps, loved the Phone Box up near the Cormet de Roseland.

Thenop

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 19, 2023, 05:03:37 PMLizard Lips has got it then - barring an accident and I think he's about the only one in the peleton I haven't seen hit the deck yet.

Surprised that the commentators didn't see the imminent popping of Pogagcar, as soon as I saw his jersey fully unzipped I told Mrs S that he'd done.

And Felix Gall should have said "Who vaz dat?" when Ben O'Connor came to congratulate him on his win.

And finally so glad the sun was out all day, love the Alps, loved the Phone Box up near the Cormet de Roseland.

Dutch commentators picked it up early on. TJV being a Dutch team was immediately pushed for a response for TV, Merijn Zeeman, team boss, was very respectful when responding to prying questions.
Pogacar is a superb athlete, but he's not recovered enough from his fall in LBL, he couldn't put in enough time before the Tour.

Would have like a bit more of a battle....
On to find out who will take the Polka Dots!