Mouse Jiggler

Started by Slim, August 12, 2023, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

The organisation I work for has taken the unfortunate step of preventing people using company email or MS Teams except via company-assigned laptops. Previously I've been using my own, considerably more convenient and ergonomic Linux desktop for this.

I find Windows a horrible environment to work in. But one disadvantage of using the laptop is at least fixable. The screen lock kicks in after about 10 minutes of inactivity. I can't change this; it's tied down by a security policy. Because I'm still using a different computer for most of my work this is really inconvenient and irritating.

So I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BVG9K1KY/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

It plugs into one of the USB ports and mimics a mouse being moved around. Can be switched on and off very easily. Cost £7.99, although they're £8.99 now for some reason. Works really well.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

I use a bit of software called Wiggle.. our group policy at works locks our screens after 20 mins inactivity..
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Disciplinary offence if found out, presumably

Slim

The screen lock policy is intended to stop passers by from gaining access to a PC and has no value in a secure environment like the man cave at Slim Towers.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Quote from: David L on August 12, 2023, 04:00:30 PMDisciplinary offence if found out, presumably

Yeah surprised our IT Security lot haven't been in touch but been running it since
before lockdown..
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Slim on August 12, 2023, 04:15:08 PMThe screen lock policy is intended to stop passers by from gaining access to a PC and has no value in a secure environment like the man cave at Slim Towers.
What about the connection of unapproved/unauthorised ancillaries, apps and software policy?

Slim

Quote from: David L on August 12, 2023, 07:04:53 PM
Quote from: Slim on August 12, 2023, 04:15:08 PMThe screen lock policy is intended to stop passers by from gaining access to a PC and has no value in a secure environment like the man cave at Slim Towers.
What about the connection of unapproved/unauthorised ancillaries, apps and software policy?

I haven't compromised the company's interests or security in the slightest; in fact it's emphatically contrary to the company's interest for me to be deterred unnecessarily from using internal communications.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan