More old new film material

Started by Thenop, July 14, 2023, 06:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

This time it's 1977.
Not full songs rather snippets but a fun watch nonetheless.

David L

Quote from: Thenop on July 14, 2023, 06:03:06 AMThis time it's 1977.
Not full songs rather snippets but a fun watch nonetheless.

Love Alex's 'kimono' phase  ;D

Slim

Wow! Again. Recorded between my first and second Rush gigs.

I think I posted a mini, single sentence summary of each of the UK tours in a post on T-N-M-S a few years ago, I think I'll do that again.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: David L on July 14, 2023, 11:06:29 AMLove Alex's 'kimono' phase  ;D

He used to call it his "housecoat" :D
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: David L on July 14, 2023, 11:06:29 AMLove Alex's 'kimono' phase  ;D

I will never forget the UFO anekdote with the fluffy slippers nailed to the stage  ;D

Thenop

Slim

Wow! Priceless. Alex with his 335 and the ATWAS Les Paul.

Interesting that he had the doubleneck by then, I don't think he'd had it long. Didn't use it on ATWAS.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

For some reason this all pops up now. Very enjoyable indeed from a period that was documented well for audio, but now there's some video.

David L

Fantastic! Neil did like his stick twirls back then! The back projections are cool. Why did we not get them until much later - venue size?

Slim

Quote from: David L on July 27, 2023, 09:14:25 PMFantastic! Neil did like his stick twirls back then! The back projections are cool. Why did we not get them until much later - venue size?

Yes - a few days after my first Rush gig there was an interview with Alex on Metro Radio, recorded on the day of the gig in Newcastle in which he says that they couldn't bring over the back projection because of the size of the stages. I think the first time they did bring all that over was the two Stafford gigs in September 1979.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on July 27, 2023, 09:44:50 PM
Quote from: David L on July 27, 2023, 09:14:25 PMFantastic! Neil did like his stick twirls back then! The back projections are cool. Why did we not get them until much later - venue size?

Yes - a few days after my first Rush gig there was an interview with Alex on Metro Radio, recorded on the day of the gig in Newcastle in which he says that they couldn't bring over the back projection because of the size of the stages. I think the first time they did bring all that over was the two Stafford gigs in September 1979.
They may have had the screen but it was not showing images like the ones seen here when I first saw them on the 5-nighter at Hammersmith Odeon (Perm. Waves tiur). Perhaps it was a stage-depth thing too. I think I recall that also being the case when I saw them on the Exit Stage Left tour at Bingley Hall.

Slim

The images were definitely different than here in Sept '79 - no Star Trek bumhead for one thing, I'd have remembered that. But there were quite a few different images.

But what on Earth is Alex playing here? I think it must be a massively detuned electric ukelele that he's brought on to play the last E chord in Working Man after the drum solo, for a laugh.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan