Climate Change

Started by Matt2112, July 24, 2023, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on July 25, 2023, 03:30:39 PMI'd also like to know .. I really do want to discourage personal attacks so I'd appreciate some clarification. Thanks.

I think I just got the joke.😂

David L

Quote from: Slim on July 25, 2023, 03:30:39 PMI'd also like to know .. I really do want to discourage personal attacks so I'd appreciate some clarification. Thanks.
I profoundly disagree with Mr Wasp's suggested curtailment of civil liberties. It was a tongue'in-cheek comment - no malice intended  ;D

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on July 25, 2023, 05:11:36 PM
I profoundly disagree with Mr Wasp's suggested curtailment of civil liberties. It was a tongue'in-cheek comment - no malice intended  ;D

Aww! So it wasn't a wasps' nest joke making my bike comment look a bit daft as well. Boo! I'm humiliated. Get him banned, James.😂😉

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 25, 2023, 05:33:13 PMAww! So it wasn't a wasps' nest joke making my bike comment look a bit daft as well. Boo! I'm humiliated. Get him banned, James.😂😉

Well, it was a wasps' nest joke

The Picnic Wasp

I didn't think I had been really hung up on climate change for very long, but I remembered I wrote something I posted on a friend's poetry site a while back. Turns out it was 2008 so I must have been more concerned than I can remember back then. It was probably slaughtered for being drink-fuelled, late night pretentious rubbish at the time so I leave myself wide open, thus.

Climate Change 1/11/2008

Prog rock bees decelerated by an abrasive atmosphere
Air once silken beats them half to death
In a gatefold Roger Dean travesty
A carnage of our hunter gatherer masters
Gather above to silhouette and mock our dying souls
Wings beating in lower register
Where once loved by humming schoolyard mimics
A searing sunblessed English orchard orchestration
Is now a deformed kazoo chant at asthmatic lips
Albeit a learned geriatric prophet's
(I'm glad I've no kids, I can rest in the sod)
Hot bees let us soothe you now
As you lie on the hallowed ground

Bending horizon, distorted at dawn
Chimneys beyond fill unfillable space
Ant like cars zip shiny harmless like beetles
If only though and not blow suck a trillion dead trees
From an eon ago and not coax and then roll
That dung from our benefactors
To where it may smile at the Earth and lie and be one again

So the cold and the hot once predictable allies
Muscle and wrestle like invincible foes
Damning the south with no reconcile
Blowtorch the north
Pines Larch Oak Birch its guile
A liquid submission no barrier could stand
No beaver evolved this flow could command

(And so this prayer)

Oh children of our future wilderness
May a handful of you thrive on a healing soil
10,000 years from now
And as you stare on dusted peaks afar
May our sadness echo still
And reach forgiving ears

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on July 25, 2023, 08:52:23 AMGlobal warming is never, in itself, a direct cause of a fire as far as I'm aware. The problem is that the increase in temperatures that man-made climate change has brought about make wildfires more likely.
And in the Mediterranean summers are dry come what may under the current post ice-age climatic regime. This year may be hotter, but in itself that doesn't have to mean wild fires are more likely. The height of the tourist season might be a wild fire trigger, more people doing stupid things.

Matt2112

Apparently, the formidably astute, insightful ladies of Loose Women today claimed that Lindos (where we spent a tremendous day last year) is the "epicentre" of the fires.

It's actually one of the locations where folk are being taken to as a precaution and one of the safest places on the island of Rhodes.

Stay tuned for more nuggets of MSM misinformation tomorrow. ::)

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 25, 2023, 03:32:30 PMI think ironically my generation and the very young get it, but there's a big middle slice of the population who aren't prepared to listen and would prefer to like YouTube videos of peaceful protestors being arrested or assaulted.

Those entitled, selfish protestors have caused misery. They haven't prevented one cubic millimetre of CO2 being released into the atmosphere and they deserve all of the suffering and grief they receive in return, and more.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on July 25, 2023, 11:07:33 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 25, 2023, 03:32:30 PMI think ironically my generation and the very young get it, but there's a big middle slice of the population who aren't prepared to listen and would prefer to like YouTube videos of peaceful protestors being arrested or assaulted.

Those entitled, selfish protestors have caused misery. They haven't prevented one cubic millimetre of CO2 being released into the atmosphere and they deserve all of the suffering and grief they receive in return, and more.

I hope we all live long enough to see that this is wrong. History will look very kindly upon them. Their actions (in general) compared compared to ours', wow. Please don't mention the confetti woman. There's always the bandwagoners.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 26, 2023, 11:09:55 AMI hope we all live long enough to see that this is wrong. History will look very kindly upon them. Their actions (in general) compared compared to ours', wow. Please don't mention the confetti woman. There's always the bandwagoners.
I think you probably need to take your TV to the local recycling centre
;)

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 26, 2023, 11:09:55 AMI hope we all live long enough to see that this is wrong. History will look very kindly upon them. Their actions (in general) compared compared to ours', wow. Please don't mention the confetti woman. There's always the bandwagoners.

A history that looked kindly on them would be false. What have they done except to cause grief and misery (and by the way, a bit more global warming)?

We must have the rule of law, not policy provoked by selfish, ignorant scumbags preventing mothers from taking their babies to hospital. Our democracy doesn't operate on the basis of demands made by small minorities backed by threats.

If that starts to work, how will you feel when (say) gangs of skinheads demand to have migrants shackled and deported in transport planes in return for allowing ambulances to go about their usual business?
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on July 26, 2023, 11:24:27 AM
I think you probably need to take your TV to the local recycling centre
;)

Again, too subtle for me. Give me a couple of hours.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on July 26, 2023, 11:47:27 AM

A history that looked kindly on them would be false. What have they done except to cause grief and misery (and by the way, a bit more global warming)?

We must have the rule of law, not policy provoked by selfish, ignorant scumbags preventing mothers from taking their babies to hospital. Our democracy doesn't operate on the basis of demands made by small minorities backed by threats.

If that starts to work, how will you feel when (say) gangs of skinheads demand to have migrants shackled and deported in transport planes in return for allowing ambulances to go about their usual business?

Possibly a good plot line for a dystopian fiction novel, but not really an argument that I can compute. Mind you, I haven't figured out the TV quip yet either.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 26, 2023, 12:33:51 PMPossibly a good plot line for a dystopian fiction novel, but not really an argument that I can compute. Mind you, I haven't figured out the TV quip yet either.
Together with your (perviously expressed) anxiety over contracting Covid-19, your opinion on the 'Climate Crisis' indicates, to me, you are probably paying too much attention to MSM.
Leave the TV off 😉

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on July 26, 2023, 01:32:18 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 26, 2023, 12:33:51 PMPossibly a good plot line for a dystopian fiction novel, but not really an argument that I can compute. Mind you, I haven't figured out the TV quip yet either.
Together with your (perviously expressed) anxiety over contracting Covid-19, your opinion on the 'Climate Crisis' indicates, to me, you are probably paying too much attention to MSM.
Leave the TV off 😉

Like this activity, I use TV in short bursts for eye comfort reasons. My usual TV diet is along the lines of The Big Bang Theory or Cheers re-runs. I don't think I'm in any danger of being radicalised by the BBC anytime soon. If you live in the west of Scotland and have an interest in football, you quickly realise just how trustworthy BBC and other MSM is. It keeps me quite focused and alert and probably slightly paranoid about their activities. As for COVID, I tend to consume all I can find, probably as a hangover to being made vulnerable by IV steroids prior to lockdown. That takes a while to fade.