IT Homelab

Started by Fishy, August 29, 2022, 12:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

I've had pi hole running on a vm for years .. great
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

Fish junior was looking to get a new lappy.. budget was £400.. told him to give me his existing one which was pretty decent.. hp pavilion win10 8gb.. intel i3...so I upgraded the os to win11 even tho the software said it wasn't compatible due to the processor but there's always a way round these type of things.. installed onto a bigger SSD disk and bought in additional 8gb mem for just over £20.. install of office 2016.. job done.. these little screws in laptops to get into the guts of them are a real pain tho

Fishy

Back to raspberry pi.... Had a setup with one running OSMC connected to the big LG TV which allowed me to stream stuff from my local server where I dump TV programmes.. films etc.. it worked well but with apps around on the TV had a look to see if anything else could do the job and free up the pi...
Lg web os recently updated to v5.x.x so I wondered if Jellyfin was now supported.. maybe down to the age of the telly.. it's not that old but no Jellyfin app available.. so gave Plex app a go.... Bit of plex software on the server.. setup your libraries... ip add entered into the TV app and bingo... seems to work well so far...

So the spare raspberry pi 4 is now doing the internet speed monitor as the Debian vm which was doing it before was giving very weird results .. this one looks a lot more stable

Fishy

A wee update on the pfsense vm firewall..  no probs there...

Fishy

Just grabbed an elite desk g3 16gb ram off eBay for £30.. that'll do as upgrade to my old hp8300 running veeam backup

Fishy

Started using DuckDuckGo  as my search engine of choice

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on February 08, 2024, 11:16:57 AMJust grabbed an elite desk g3 16gb ram off eBay for £30.. that'll do as upgrade to my old hp8300 running veeam backup

Upgrade done.. nice n easy also chucked in an extra 16gb memory module.. also noticed it had an ssd m.2 slot which is nice...

Might see if the 4x8g  from the old pc are worth shoving on eBay..

Fishy

Setup a windows 2022 server vm to run Veeam One which will monitor my virtual infrastructure.. will be interesting to see what it comes back with...

Fishy

Due to switching my wifi over from Cisco to Aruba .. the Cisco vm has been powered down for a while which freed up a couple of dual nics in each of my Esxi hosts.. so put one host into maintenance mode and moved all running vms over to the other host allowing me to power of the host and remove the nic card.. power up the host and repeat the process for the other host nice n easy and no downtime on the live systems.. I love VMware...

Fishy

Fired up a new machine running Blue Iris to run my four ip cams which currently work thru Synology Surveillance Station.. have to say blue iris is very very good  although the numbers of tweaks you can make on the setup of cams such as recording / motion detection etc is mind boggling.. been checking some YouTube setup vids which last about an hour..

Fishy

Expanding my Wi-Fi.. grabbed an hp 1920 8 port Poe switch and another Aruba IAP from eBay....
Powered off my veeam one vm server.. my VMware setup is pretty small so not that bothered about the occasional read/write redundancy error ....enterprise wide it might be useful..small homelab it's a bit of needless overkill.. also I think my setup is otherwise in pretty good shape..

pxr5

I'm just reading through your posts again Fishy and I must have missed the Jellyfin one before. I've got a LG TV running WebOS and I have the Jellyfin client running fine on it. My TV is a C1 OLED from 2021. I've got the Jellyfin server running in a Docker container on one of my Synology NAS - and it sits behind a Reverse Proxy for remote access. I'd prefer to use Tailscale but it's a bit of a sod to install Tailscale on a Fire TV stick, which is all I, and the rest of my family, use for Jellyfin remote access. Works well.

I've dabbled with Plex in the past but I never really liked it (paying for clients and pushing their own stuff as well as lifetime passes to get the full benefit) whereas Jellyfin is totally free (it's a fork of Emby after Emby went behind a pay wall).

Oh yeah I eventually got round to putting Pi-hole on one of my Raspberry Pis - I only regret not doing it before. I may have too much blocked as I dumped a quite a few Adlists on it lol.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

My lg telly is a nano I think.. it's now running webos 5.0.x something it did another update last week.. so I tried to hunt for the Jellyfin app but it's a no show... plex is working fine so it's all good...

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on March 04, 2024, 09:53:00 PMMy lg telly is a nano I think.. it's now running webos 5.0.x something it did another update last week.. so I tried to hunt for the Jellyfin app but it's a no show... plex is working fine so it's all good...
As you're happy with Plex this may be a waste of time, but Jellyfin will run fine in a browser, which I'm sure WebOS 5.xx certainly will have. Anyway it's something to try if you ever wanted to give Jellyfin another bash.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Quote from: pxr5 on March 05, 2024, 09:50:07 PM
Quote from: Fishy on March 04, 2024, 09:53:00 PMMy lg telly is a nano I think.. it's now running webos 5.0.x something it did another update last week.. so I tried to hunt for the Jellyfin app but it's a no show... plex is working fine so it's all good...
As you're happy with Plex this may be a waste of time, but Jellyfin will run fine in a browser, which I'm sure WebOS 5.xx certainly will have. Anyway it's something to try if you ever wanted to give Jellyfin another bash.

Yeah Plex is working fine.. I just need it to stream from a local windows VMware server
which it does no problem.. not interested or need any of the bloat add ons  you get with it..use Jellyfin from fire sticks which also just work...