Cycling 2024

Started by Slim, January 01, 2024, 04:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Another warm, sunny day. I left work shamelessly early with the intention of doing about 45 miles. A light wind was blowing from the south again but I've done the southbound a few times in the last week or two so I wanted to do something a bit different.

I devised a route that would go south down the "old" southbound route through Desford, but cut across to the "new" southbound route before Enderby. It looked easy enough on the map but (of course) I cocked it up and ended up on Coventry Road, a very busy road that sprouts south-westward out of Leicester. I have been on it before but the Friday afternoon traffic made it a bit hairy. So I took an opportunistic left.

Quite a nice stretch of road after that, nice to do something new. The bit of road I did before arriving on Coventry Road was quite pleasant as well. Always good to do new roads for a change. I stopped for a sandwich and a Bounty bar at a village shop at Huncote. Hadn't been there before.

Eventually I found myself at a place called Cosby where I took the pic. Saw a sign to Broughton Astley from there. From Broughton I came back pretty much the usual way, except that I attempted to hit the Earl Shilton bypass, took a wrong turn and ended up looping back on myself.

I really must learn to make better use of the eTrex. Too idle to upload the routes, that's the trouble.

Lovely out there and I dressed appropriately this time, minimal clothing. Listened mostly to 5 Live.

About two years ago I bought a cheap Chinese wireless "bike computer" off Amazon and I got round to fitting it to the Boardman today. The idea, if I remember correctly, was that for short rides I'd be able to use my phone to record the ride directly via the Strava app. I calibrated the computer using notes I'd made last time I fitted a speedo to similar-sized wheels and seem to have got it spot on. 49.32 acording to the Garmin watch, 49.3 according to the speedo (it only does one decimal place).

https://www.strava.com/activities/11379644436
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Laura Kenny on a bike.

Must say I wouldn't have expected her recreational bike to be one of those.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Once saw the lovely Laura outside Cafe Adventure in Hope with her mates. She was on a proper road bike then.

Didn't get as far as Hope myself today as once again I was too bus watching professional cyclists riding up hills in another day's armchair travel. Did pop out for a couple of hours though, still a bit warm but thankfully there was a bit of a cooling breeze.

Did a very similar 35 miles to last Saturday, but went up to the Moors through Cutthorpe rather than Old Brampton. No Cuckoos about today, but a Tawny Owl was hooting up towards what was the Gate Inn. Gets me to 275 miles for May and I'm somehow still ahead of 2021's tally at this point.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11387439377

Slim

Rain was forecast for the afternoon but it was a lovely morning, so - clothed once again in minimal cycling gear - I set off at about 1000, with the intention of doing about 35.

I was going to do about 17 miles of the usual eastbound route then come back the same way, but before I got to the junction at Zouch I took a left through Long Whatton, toward Diseworth. I had the idea of going into Loughborough, which I haven't done for a long time.

Before long though I realised I was actually going in the opposite direction of Loughborough, but I decided to keep going, just in the spirit of maintaining momentum.

At Diseworth I took a right turn I hadn't taken before, signposted to the airport. Nice little road, nothing special and less than a mile later I was on the A453, running south of the airport. I'd only done 13 miles by this time so I was struggling to think what to do to make up the miles I wanted. I probably should just have kept on going rather than take the left near Zouch.

I took the road down past Breedon, then went north toward Melbourne, then took the road to Ticknall from there - which I haven't done for at least a year. I chickened out of Bastard Hill and came home via Hartshorne, Woodville, Ashby.

Really a lovely ride over the first half. I spoiled it over the second half by giving myself too much hill climbing to do.

I listened to The Who's Who's Next.

Back on 37.04. I didn't get rained on and in fact hours after I returned home, still no sign of rain. Just warm sunshine. Annoying, as if I'd know I'd have done a fondo. But at the moment next weekend looks clear.

https://www.strava.com/activities/11393253252
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan