Main Menu

R40 DVD

Started by R6GYY, October 10, 2023, 02:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

I'm a bit late to the party I know, but I have only just recently acquired this.

I worked my way (with a bit of skipping!) through the first set last night, and it was a bit of a struggle in parts for a number of reasons.

But, there was a genuine highlight watching Ben Mink perform Losing It with them. That was quite special.

Will continue on to the 2nd set, and encore and extras at some point. Still hard to think that the Professor is no longer with us.

Although they didn't know it at the time, wasn't this the final performance on stage of Rush? The 2nd night in Toronto?

If so, that is kind of spooky in a way.

R6GYY

I've just checked and the Toronto gigs were in the middle of the R40 tour so I don't know where I got that idea.

Ho hum.

Slim

I've had the BluRay for years, but I haven't bothered to watch it yet. Perhaps this thread will prompt me to do that, finally.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Didn't bother buying it. Got too many others watched once and once only.

dom

Think I heard Subdivisions from that tour.  Started off great and then poor Geddy came in with the vocals.  He really struggled with them and it made the listening experience quite painful. I have Rush In Rio which I only played a couple of times and he could still sing at that point.

captainkurtz

I think youtube has killed the joy of live dvds.  Or maybe I'm just getting old and impatient.

Thenop

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 10, 2023, 05:45:12 PMI think youtube has killed the joy of live dvds.  Or maybe I'm just getting old and impatient.

fixed that for you

Matt2112

I've watched it from start to finish once I think.  Even as a swivel-eyed fanboi I have issues with the warbly vocals. 

On the all-too-infrequent occasions I can watch concert blurays undisturbed at a half-decent volume I'm much more likely to reach for ASOH, RiR or Time Machine.

Nick

Yep it's a painful watch. But as readers may have seen from the recent Powertrip festival in the USA nearly all classic rock vocalists are pretty painful to listen to now, Coverdale, Rose, Johnson, Neil, Roth etc.

Honourable exceptions Jagger, Hughes, Hagar.

Thenop

Quote from: Nick on October 10, 2023, 07:02:38 PMYep it's a painful watch. But as readers may have seen from the recent Powertrip festival in the USA nearly all classic rock vocalists are pretty painful to listen to now, Coverdale, Rose, Johnson, Neil, Roth etc.

Honourable exceptions Jagger, Hughes, Hagar.

Hughes, really? Did he finally stop screaming like a banshee?

You can add Paul Stanley to the list of hasbeens vocally.
Honestly, one of the best these days and (at his) age is Robin Zander.

David L

When I saw him a couple of years ago Glenn Hughes still had one hell of a voice on him

Matt2112

Of course, there's the evergreen Bruce Dickinson, who still sounds pretty much as good as ever.

Michael Kiske is another one.

And Pete Cox of Go West is another.

I digress. :)

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 10, 2023, 07:53:10 PMOf course, there's the evergreen Bruce Dickinson, who still sounds pretty much as good as ever.

Michael Kiske is another one.

And Pete Cox of Go West is another.

Shout out to Phil Mogg

....and Trevor Rabin, of course  ;D

pxr5

I own all the Rush concerts released on Blu-ray, even that R40 book thing and I've only played the last concert once. The others many times though.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

My favourite is still the Exit Stage Left one.