Main Menu

The Creator

Started by R6GYY, October 05, 2023, 01:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Hmm . . . with the delay for Dune part 2, I was looking forward to this new sci-fi epic. The trailers had seriously captured my attention.

I think I went in with too high expectations as I came away slightly deflated. I don't think the cinema being so cold helped my mood as I was shivering towards the end - top tip to self - more layers next time! Maybe I will enjoy it more with a re-watch in a warmer environment.

It is indeed epic, and has some incredible cinematography . The performance of Madeleine Yuna Voyles in the central  role of young simulant Alphie (Alpha Omega) is quite remarkable, and she had me nearly in tears a couple of times. The central war with AI theme is of course very much of the moment, although set in the future, complete with ray guns and anti-gravity vehicles. 

James Cameron I am sure (if he watches this) be captivated (as I was) by some of the military technology portrayed here - in particular, the huge tanks (as seen in the trailers), and the walking bombs.

The huge tanks actually put me in mind of some of Chris Foss's science fiction book cover artwork from the 70's, in a good way.

There are oodles of influences on show here - Blade Runner is a very obvious one, on both the visual front, and conceptually.

Ooh did I mention Allison Janney's turn as Colonel Howell? She was having a ball with this and great to watch.

In summary then, there is plenty to admire here, and I did enjoy it a lot - just not as much as I was expecting.

Overall score, 4 out of 5. Maybe 4.5 in a warm room!

Full disclosure: I didn't see this in the Imax!

pxr5

This is on my radar Reg, thanks for the review. I don't do cinema anymore so I'll have to wait on streaming. Looks good though.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."