Mortimer And Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

Started by R6GYY, September 03, 2023, 07:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Series 6 kicks off tonight at 9 on BBC 2.

We do not have the slightest interest in fishing, but we do love this delightful series.

Who'd have thought it would have gone on this long - I guess we are not the only ones who appreciate it.

Highly recommended.

And away . . . . .

dom

Love this show, and its perfect for a Sunday evening. Gentle, funny and amazing views

Slim

I must admit when I've watched it, I've enjoyed it. I'm not much interested in fishing either but my brother and I did go fishing off the coast of Hartlepool in my dad's boat a few times. I remember one memorable Sunday afternoon when, fortuitously, we parked above a shoal of whiting. I was getting a tug on the line every few minutes, can't remember what we were using for bait.

I ended up catching about 30 of them, we took about 50 of them home in all. I have to say I didn't enjoy watching my dad kill them on the boat, but they all went in the freezer somehow. Not great news for me because I didn't actually like fish but we had fish stew, fish curry, fried fish, grilled fish etc etc for weeks.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

I love this series which would be in my top three TV shows of the last few years. I used to imagine a Christmas special with Bob and Paul enjoying a nice dinner when there is a knock at the door. Bob answers it to find a sad looking Jim Moir on the doorstep. He initially fobs him off saying he's having a quiet day with a friend only to call him back as he trudged down the path. Weird, but I just thought it would be a good story end. The Detectorists would also be in my top three but I'm not too sure what else I would shoehorn in. I like fishing, especially sea fishing but haven't done any for years. I've been looking at coastal houses recently with a view to a move. Something right on the shore or with its own mooring would be great.

pxr5

I'm another who doesn't like fishing but loves this show. I think it's really hit a nerve with a lot of people and is very popular. It's just so charming, simple and compelling. I think the last fish I caught was a stickleback when I was 10. I recall a management course I did a few ago. We were each given random topics to do a 10 minute presentation on. Mine was coarse fishing - I was like wtf - no internet to do research those days so off to the library I went. It went well (I think).
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

David L

We love this too and I thought it was a very good start to the new series. It is so gentle, such an antidote to the usual nasty, violent, disturbing and hectoring nonsense that comprises prime-time TV these days. A real gem

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on September 03, 2023, 10:16:39 PMWe love this too and I thought it was a very good start to the new series. It is so gentle, such an antidote to the usual nasty, violent, disturbing and hectoring nonsense that comprises prime-time TV these days. A real gem

Yes, all the terrestrial channels post 9pm seem to be about violent crime, emergency workers, gory medical activity and the like. Cocoa and slippers TV seems to be a thing of the past.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: pxr5 on September 03, 2023, 09:28:38 PMI'm another who doesn't like fishing but loves this show. I think it's really hit a nerve with a lot of people and is very popular. It's just so charming, simple and compelling. I think the last fish I caught was a stickleback when I was 10. I recall a management course I did a few ago. We were each given random topics to do a 10 minute presentation on. Mine was coarse fishing - I was like wtf - no internet to do research those days so off to the library I went. It went well (I think).

I never took to coarse fishing when I was young even though there were lochs nearby and canals not too far away. Although I've always eaten fish and meat I dislike hunting just for sport. I think catching fish to take home and enjoy is fine but I don't really understand the catch and release thing. It's ok on angling programmes where it allows more viewers to enjoy a relaxed watch, but I doubt very much if I would let a sea trout go. It just seems a bit wrong to haul a lot of fish out to keep them in a net until they're weighed and released. Each to his own of course and it's a massively popular hobby. I remember when I was young there was an accidental release of ornamental goldfish from a Glasgow factory. There were hundreds of dads and kids lining the canal banks catching them. I think some hybrids resulted from it.