Asteroid City

Started by R6GYY, July 06, 2023, 07:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

I caught this, this afternoon before it's run finished in our cinema.

I had been drawn in by the cinematography, the 'pastel' look of the trailer and I was not disappointed. The film is beautiful. And weird.

As to a review - well I mostly had a grin throughout, but I'm not sure I kept up with some of the interchanging perspectives and asides going on. Some terrific performances on offer here too - and sharp dialogue.

If you are a Wes Anderson afficionado, then I am sure you will lap this up and ask for more. For the first half I was completely enthralled, but a little of the magic started to wear off as the film got nearer to its climax.

pxr5

Hmm. Normally I love odd, often thought-provoking, movies and mostly anything by David Lynch is right up my street. This movie, Asteroid City, is weird just for the sake of it. It's really style over substance here. It looks gorgeous but it's chaotic and the script (for what little it is) is weak, chunky and meaningless. The poor actors had nothing of any merit to work with. And the cast? Half of Hollywood seems to be here, but all are wasted in this meek effort. A really disappointing effort from Wes Anderson - it's really just pretentious twaddle.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

This is due on at Elland's wonderful Rex Cinema (assuming Barbie doesn't devour its slot) so hopefully I'll see it there.

Wes Anderson is an extremely gifted filmmaker (The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of the best films of the 10's(!)), so I'll be seeing Asteroid City almost out of a sense of duty.

I'd just say that while Anderson is definitely "quirky", it's generally in a very different way from David Lynch. 🙂