Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny

Started by R6GYY, June 28, 2023, 12:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Booked for later today at my local IMAX.

It has been a long, long time since I have attended Day 1 of a film release - but when I checked, the auditorium had loads of places free - so hopefully I will not be too bothered by other people.

My views will follow, but surely (please!) it has to be better than the Crystal Skulls. I'm looking forward to seeing Phoebe Waller-Bridge on the big screen.

Time will tell.

R6GYY

Well.

All in all, very good. So much more satisfying than episode 4.

I guess a lot will be talked about the de-ageing of Harrison Ford and Mads Mikkelsen, but to these old eyes, it was pretty flawless, and I gave up looking for oddities after a very short period of time.

I guess this is pretty much a film made to please the fans (of which I am one, apart from the 4th film) and I would say this is a return to form. As the credits rolled, and the Raiders March kicked in, I had a huge grin on my face (which had already been put there by the final scene, which I will not spoil).

Lots of (ludicrous at times!) action and plenty of humour, and that stirring theme from John Williams. Also plenty of nods to earlier outings. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is a welcome addition and breath of fresh air to the franchise, and I think the film would have suffered without her - if it was just Indy and a male side-kick for instance.

Mads Mikkelsen is on excellent form as the film's main antagonist - but then he always has excelled in these kinds of role.

Keep your eyes open for Antonio Banderas - a small but delicious part.

There is a great supporting cast too, including the "Short Round" of the piece, young Teddy, played by Ethann Isidore.  And of course Toby Jones as Phoebe's father and John Rhys-Davies as long time partner in crime Sallah.

One scene (not a spoiler, as it is in the trailers) which I thought particularly impressive, was the recreation of the moon landing ticker-tape parades, in the midst of which a typical Indy chase takes place.

I had a thoroughly good time  8)

pdw1

I saw it tonight and agree with Reg; it was great fun and a worthy (final) addition to the Indiana saga.

Red Lenses

Yep, really enjoyed it....will definitely get the 4K disc when released.

pxr5

I watched it last night. I thought it was all a bit meh. My wife fell asleep half way through so make of that as you will. There were a few funny comments (Phoebe Waller-Bridge' input maybe?) and lots, I mean lots, of chases scenes. The deaths seemed a bit cruel too with little sympathy shown. The ending was daft and the final scenes seemed just glued on to end the series. I actually think the previous movie was better.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."