John Wick Chapter 4

Started by R6GYY, March 28, 2023, 09:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

My first must-see film of the year.

I don't think I have the words to express my delight in seeing this so sorry if I ramble a bit.

If you don't like the John Wick series, then this won't win you over. If you (like me) do, then this is the biggest and baddest yet.

Also be warned - it is nearly 3 hours. I had to take a pee about half way through during a quiet moment.

No spoilers from me - although I will point out that there IS a tantalising post-credits scene.

New star of the show (apart from Keanu Reeves of course) has to be Donnie Yen, who perhaps to my shame I was previously unaware of. He is just a joy to watch. And talk about a scene-stealer  :D

There are many set piece highlights as you would by now be expecting from the franchise, but top of these for me are the German disco club scene in Berlin, and the overhead-long-takes scene in the derelict house in Paris. My mind is still boggling as to how they accomplished this. Stunning. Almost like a top-down twin-stick shooting game (and I've played a few of those  8) ).

BEAUTIFULLY shot - this film amongst everything else is serious eye candy. Real life doesn't look this good - or maybe I just don't have the eye to see it.

Outrageously good entertainment and this team keep pushing the boundaries. Will there be a John Wick 5? I kind of hope not, but if there is, I will of course go and see it. I do believe that the film has done spectacularly well on its opening weekend, so Lionsgate the studio will probably be keen to milk this cash cow as much as they can. 

Speaking of which, now bring on The Continental prequel series - set in 1970's New York. Rumoured for a September release this year I think.

Matt2112

I tried the first one on release and for whatever reason it didn't entice me to stick with the franchise.  Perhaps I'll give it another go.

Slim

I've been meaning to try the first one for a while. Must set some time aside to do that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Ace2112

Have to agree on all points Reg, thoroughly enjoyed it and yeah that top-down section was amazing and very "gamey" :)

pxr5

We watched this last night. I'm not sure why exactly but I didn't like it as much as the previous 3 movies. Some of the fight scenes seemed a little clumsy in their execution and it was way, way too long. The overhead scenes in Paris were the best parts and was really like watching a computer game. Good but not great. Only 6/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

A mini TV series called The Continental starts 22 Sep. Should be fun.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6486762/
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Indeed. The trailer is out now. Not a fan of Mel Gibson but hey ho.

R6GYY

I had the evening to myself yesterday, so I treated myself to John Wick 4 again (this time via Amazon Prime).

My views still stand. Fantastic.