Main Menu

Eurovision 2023

Started by Slim, May 11, 2023, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

So impressed with the 20 year old Estonian entry. Such poise and presence.i'm sure if I'd been wearing that dress attempting to cover the stage like she did, I would have fallen over

dom

Finnish entry had me laughing. Pretty sure it was intentional

Slim

Finland - what fresh hell is this? Can this hot, spicy garbage really be one of the favourites? Preposterous performance and even for the brief period when it morphs into something approximating a song, it's utter wank. It gets a huge response from the crowd. Easily the worst of the night though, a 2.

Czechia, or if you prefer, the Czech Republic. It's a trite girl power message based on Eastern European power-folk with a quasi-rap element. And yet somehow it works. 6.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Voyager - I wonder if the old Sounds magazine adage about ER bands will still hold true.😁

dom

Voyager a bit of a poppy Muse

dom

Boy George crossed with Simply Red = Belgium

Slim

Australia - well it's a rhythmically interesting '80s radio style soft rock tune. Rhythmically it reminds me of Love Like Blood by Killing Joke which is a belting tune, I wouldn't say this is though. But I did quite like it if I'm honest. It's a 6.

Belgium - has an early '90s disco feel, accoring to Graham Norton. And I think that's right. I didn't hate it but it really sounds derivative to me, I'm sure I've heard that hook before - but I have to say I really dig the jazz / soul feel in the chorus. Can I give it more than a 6? I .. I don't think I can.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Armenia - boring song, charismatic performer though. 5.

Moldova - eccentric power-folk with a nice flute part. It's not a good song, got to be a 5.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Moldova - entertaining and catchy

dom

Ukraine reminds me of Youssou N'Dour. Not a bad thing but unexpected

Slim

Here comes the likely winner, Ukraine. I might be a bit Eurovisioned out at this point but I was just bored. Two chord tedium, 4.

Norway - well for what it is, it's a decently spirited little tune but I can't really get excited. Pretty standard Eurovision fare. 5
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Germany - another stinker; ridiculously overwrought, utterly hackneyed cheese. This is what happens when you leave glam rock on the radiator. Awful. 2.

Lithuania - think this might be the highlight of the night, if only for the chorus which does have a nice energy. I don't think it's quite a 7. It's a 6. Nothing particularly original or interesting but I liked it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

It does get quite tough to judge 26 songs you've never heard before

Slim

Israel - she sings well and she's quite the dancer as well but I feel like I've already heard this song twice tonight. How did all this serious po-faced over-earnestness come to dominate popular music? 5.

I haven't actually been keeping count but I wouldn't be surprised if every single one of tonight's tunes was in a minor key.

Slovenia, it's another improbably camp "rock" tune complete with guitars being used merely as props. 4.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Croatia.

Words fail me.