Main Menu

Eurovision 2023

Started by Slim, May 11, 2023, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

I'm away on holiday in Derbyshire tomorrow, but will be watching  :)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Earlier this evening 5 Live had an interview with the musical director for the UK's most recent winning entry; Katrina and the Waves' Love Shine A Light of course.

None other than Deep Purple, Colosseum II, Rainbow, Sabbath, Whitesnake and Ozzy Osbourne keyboard maestro Don Airey! I didn't know that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2023, 08:08:46 PMEarlier this evening 5 Live had an interview with the musical director for the UK's most recent winning entry; Katrina and the Waves' Love Shine A Light of course.

None other than Deep Purple, Colosseum II, Rainbow, Sabbath, Whitesnake and Ozzy Osbourne keyboard maestro Don Airey! I didn't know that.
Wow! He truly is a maestro!

pxr5

I have the second semi final on TV at the moment (muted of course to listen to real music) and the set and staging, lighting etc is really fantastic. In fact the whole thing looks super slick, unlike the Italian effort last year which looked a bit iffy in places. We do have a knack in this country to make things like this look very good - again shame about the crappy music underneath it all.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on May 11, 2023, 05:44:39 PMI'm away on holiday in Derbyshire tomorrow, but will be watching  :)
A like for choosing God's own County for your holiday, a dislike for choosing to watch Eurovision.

Fishy

Had the misfortune to see the last 15 mins from tonight.. utter shit.. the dramatic pause nonsense when announcing who had got thru then the clips from those who had..  just machine gun the lot of them... and why does it now last a fucking week.. instead of a whole Saturday night as before...
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on May 11, 2023, 10:48:00 PMHad the misfortune to see the last 15 mins from tonight.. utter shit.. the dramatic pause nonsense when announcing who had got thru then the clips from those who had..  just machine gun the lot of them... and why does it now last a fucking week.. instead of a whole Saturday night as before...
Partly because it's been appropriated by the cause du jour with the full support of those in power in the media, the arts and governments of Europe. The new religion

dom

Its been like that since 2004. All those Russian satellites wanting to join, all those Yugoslavian, Czechoslovakian countries etc. Not to mention Australia!

17 countries competed when Abba won in 74. Now there are over 40!

Matt2112

Do you know what - for a long time  I've been pretty indifferent to this event; I don't think I've watched a Eurovision final from start to finish since Terry Wogan was affectionately taking the piss out of it.

However, the way the stars are aligned this weekend I may end up accompanying the little 'un for a mini viewing party - she's excited to do so since Sam Ryder's Spaceman did so well last year.  Actually sounds like it could be fun and of course I can join in the shenanigans here also. :)

R6GYY

Ah. I'd forgotten that Australia were in it last year. That was a real wtf moment. I cannot remember if anyone explained why.

Whilst we enjoy watching the final, we don't have the stomach for the semi-finals as well. We only want to watch them once!

The Picnic Wasp

Should maybe be in the What Made You Grumpy thread but again, watching Saturday Kitchen Live, when discussing the number of times various countries have won, one of the guests enquired,
"What's England on?" I've never been much of a nationalist but that still rankles.

pxr5

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on May 13, 2023, 11:01:20 AMShould maybe be in the What Made You Grumpy thread but again, watching Saturday Kitchen Live, when discussing the number of times various countries have won, one of the guests enquired,
"What's England on?" I've never been much of a nationalist but that still rankles.
Yes, saw that - he was Swedish though. But I get why it irritates.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

The Grand Opening is tacky and over-theatrical, but of course no-one could have expected anything else.I suppose it's inevitable that Ukraine will win again, with a huge public vote. For me whoever gets the highest level of approval from the collective international juries will be the moral victor.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan