What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

R6GYY

See How They Run

On Disney+

We had been saving this one for viewing over the holidays and watched it last night, both of us having been enchanted by the trailer.

Sadly, the film doesn't live up to the expectations set by said trailer.

I will say however that Saoirse Ronan was a delight to watch as newbie Constable Stalker.

Overall, we felt a bit deflated and let down.

dom

Glass Onion - A Knives Out Mystery

Now I'm used to Daniel Craig's Southern US drawl
I found it highly enjoyable.   

Worthy of an Agatha Christie whodunit and such a lavish production.

Fishy

His Dark Material Season 3 just polished it off..

R6GYY

Quote from: dom on December 28, 2022, 09:24:08 PMGlass Onion - A Knives Out Mystery

Now I'm used to Daniel Craig's Southern US drawl
I found it highly enjoyable.   

Worthy of an Agatha Christie whodunit and such a lavish production.
We watched it last night and were slightly underwhelmed. Great production indeed. Can't put my finger on what let it down for us exactly, but for me - I just wasn't as engaged with it as I was with the first. Still enjoyable to watch.

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on December 28, 2022, 10:31:52 PMHis Dark Material Season 3 just polished it off..
Just started this last series. Great production, but feels a bit flat this time.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

BBC Proms "highlights"; look, either give us Rhapsody In Blue from start to finish, or not at all.

Epic fcking fail. ::)

Oh, and get Maxim Vengerov on.

Fishy

Matt2112

Barbarian

A lot of buzz about this old school style horror (available on Disney+) and while it's not the instant classic it seems to be have been made out to be, there's quite a bit to like nonetheless.

The first half is particularly strong with some original touches, quite powerful suspense and fine performances, particularly from lead Georgina Campbell, who looks set for bigger things.

For me, however, the latter half increasingly reverted to more well-worn horror tropes, suggesting all the best ideas had been used up.

Still, if a late-night modern horror film with a retro vibe takes your fancy (I watched this in the very early hours of 2023 when the house was finally quiet), there are a lot worse about.

Rating: ***

R6GYY

We treated ourselves to dusting down another Bogart classic from the archives last night.

1941's The Maltese Falcon

Not a patch on the following year's sublime Casablanca but still worth watching with some great performances and dialogue.

Next stop The Big Sleep if I can find it.

pxr5

We finished His Dark Materials Season 3 last night. Blimey they certainly dragged out the end. 7/10 overall.

R6GYY

Die Hard With A Vengeance

I don't know why, but I hadn't twigged until today that John McTiernan was back at the helm after skipping the 2nd instalment.

Followed by Happy Valley the first episode of the new series.

Fishy

pdw1

Quote from: pxr5 on January 01, 2023, 02:17:51 PMWe finished His Dark Materials Season 3 last night. Blimey they certainly dragged out the end. 7/10 overall.
We have just finished it here. I thought it was wonderful.
Have you read the books?

pxr5

Quote from: pdw1 on January 05, 2023, 09:29:34 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on January 01, 2023, 02:17:51 PMWe finished His Dark Materials Season 3 last night. Blimey they certainly dragged out the end. 7/10 overall.
We have just finished it here. I thought it was wonderful.
Have you read the books?
No I haven't and I likely won't now the TV show has finished (in saying that I do sometimes read books after a show has finished. In fact right now I'm reading The Shining Girls). Have you read them?