Russell Brand

Started by Slim, September 18, 2023, 09:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainkurtz

Admittedly, I only watched about 20 minutes of dispatches, but it did seem to rely on detail that you wouldn't be able to build a successful prosecution on and did seem something of a witch hunt, to me.  The slew of distasteful comedy clips are things that people wouldn't have batted an eyelid over at the time they were made and I thought it sought to criticise him for making these kinds of verbals when they sought to celebrate Paula Yates for similar statements in their recent doc on her.

You can't be prosecuted for being a tosser, which is just as well, as the prisons are overcrowded enough as it is..

The Picnic Wasp

I don't think that his "act" of many years ago should be used as ammunition against him. He saw a niche gap in the market and went for it guns blazing, utilising an agile, articulate mind. Julian Clary was a pariah at one stage, but is now a national treasure. Well, maybe.

David L

Quote from: Fishy on September 21, 2023, 08:57:20 AMWatched the ch4 prog last night and he really comes across as a real prick.. some of the "comedy" clips were just agonising to watch.. I suspect most of his relationships incl the ones from the woman on the programme were consensual.. but you have to wonder why the hell these girls/woman wanted to hang about with the guy in the first place..
Er, because he had 'celebrity' status. Stars of entertainment, footballers, rich businessmen etc. all attract a certain woman that is more interested in the lifestyle than the person. As reported by those around at the time, girls were "flinging themselves" at him. Is it any wonder that those that consider themselves of such low worth are treated as worthless by their targets?
:-\

Moderator's note: I have removed serious allegations relating to two public figures from this post

David L

UK government try to stop Brand making income from Rumble. Deeply disturbing but unsurprising development >:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66875128

Slim

It's a parliamentary committee, not the government. Bang out of order and I hope Dame Caroline will be forced to resign.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on September 22, 2023, 12:16:20 AMIt's a parliamentary committee, not the government. Bang out of order and I hope Dame Caroline will be forced to resign.
I humbly accept that correction  :)

David L

Quote from: David L on September 21, 2023, 10:57:11 PM
Quote from: Fishy on September 21, 2023, 08:57:20 AMWatched the ch4 prog last night and he really comes across as a real prick.. some of the "comedy" clips were just agonising to watch.. I suspect most of his relationships incl the ones from the woman on the programme were consensual.. but you have to wonder why the hell these girls/woman wanted to hang about with the guy in the first place..
Er, because he had 'celebrity' status. Stars of entertainment, footballers, rich businessmen etc. all attract a certain woman that is more interested in the lifestyle than the person. As reported by those around at the time, girls were "flinging themselves" at him. Is it any wonder that those that consider themselves of such low worth are treated as worthless by their targets?
:-\

Moderator's note: I have removed serious allegations relating to two public figures from this post
Bah! I thought there was a decent gag in there. Was it a 'flesh on the bones' thing?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hugh-grant-biggest-controversies-over-002208331.html

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1550667/mick-jagger-rolling-stones-rant-ugly-dreadful-UK-northern-groupies-news-latest-update

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-rolling-stones-lyrics-stray-cat-blues-underage-groupies/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/emmanuel-macron-parents-how-discovered-affair-drama-teacher-brigitte-trogneux-dating-french-president-election-win-a7724201.html

Slim

Honestly I may have been a little over-cautious there but I'd rather stay on the safe side of the line.

There is an interesting conversation to be had, I must say, about the way people in rock'n'roll seem to have a sort of Teflon coating with respect to their interactions with younger people, if I can put it that way.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

David L

From the horses mouth, so to speak(?)

Slim

At a time when credibility is important to him I think he'd be well advised to tone down the conspiracy nutter nonsense.

It seems to me that attitudes to Russell Brand will fall broadly into three categories: those who think that he's sincere and insightful; those who think that he's dishonestly rinsing the frightened and paranoid, Nurse Campbell-style - and thirdly those who think that he's sincere, but powerfully deluded.

Those in the first category are (I suspect and hope) a small minority. And the latter two points of view won't do him any favours in a court of law, if it comes to that. Or a civil court, which also might happen.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan