Russell Brand

Started by Slim, September 18, 2023, 09:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I always find these "trial by media" exercises involving historic allegations a bit troubling, I must say. There seems to be a presumption of guilt rather than innocence.

Apparently Laura Trott - not the celebrated cyclist, the government minister - was on the telly this morning praising the supposed victims who have come forward. Given that we don't know - and probably never will - whether these allegations are a catalogue of fabrications, that seems rather presumptuous, doesn't it? Meanwhile the BBC have let us know that they're carrying out "urgent investigations", as though his guilt is a given.

The male involved is always guilty, that seems to be the most important principle in these matters.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

You'll never beat the 'deep state'. Continually criticising the MSM is one thing but once he started on Obama his fate was sealed. I'm sure that investigative journalist is flattered by the CIA's interest

Slim

I don't share your view that there's a political conspiracy to undermine Brand's career initiated at government level, but I can well believe that the left-leaning folks at Channel 4, the BBC, The Times et al have their own reasons to dislike him.

Of course, what's happening is grist to the mill for folks who do see the world through that lens.

Meanwhile Channel 4 has issued a statement including the text "We have carried out extensive document searches and have found no evidence to suggest the alleged incidents were brought to the attention of Channel 4".

What they didn't say, yet what is more pertinent and undeniably true, is that they have found no evidence to suggest the alleged incidents took place at all.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

This man shouldn't be given the oxygen of publicity in any way, shape or form. Heck, he should be denied oxygen full stop.

The BBC described him yesterday as "Comedian, Actor, Political Commentator". Wrong on all three counts.

Slim

I'm sad to see that he's lost touch with reality over the last few years but he was a briliantly sharp, clever comedian.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Can't say I've ever had much time for this guy but it does seem odd that there is suddenly an avalanche of allegations from people who presumably are unknown to each other..
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

It's left me feeling very uncomfortable, I used to be a big fan of his until he turned into a conspiracy nutter. He has always had a sharp wit and he used to have a pretty good handle on things.  Used to download his radio 2 shows back in the day, it was a really entertaining show with Noel Gallagher often making an appearance.

He's also done great work in the field of addiction and is a real inspiration to many attempting to recover from their various demons.

But I don't get why the women in question would want to bring all this attention to their respective doors, especially bearing in mind Brand's current extreme support base and I'm inclined to side with the accusers.

Truth will out, I'm sure.

Slim

Irrespective of motives I always have a problem with people dragging allegations into the open years after they're claimed to have happened, when the supposed incidents occurred in a private setting and there is absolutely no way to substantiate them. The police aren't going to be turning up looking for evidence ten, or fifteen years after these events supposedly took place.

It's just one person's word against another, and there must always be grounds for "reasonable doubt" in that situation.

One thing we do know for sure is that no-one saw fit to report these alleged sexual assaults either to the police, or to Brand's employers at the time they are supposed to have taken place.

Meanwhile - underlining my point in the first post about "trial by media", Russell Brand has already received been demonetised by YouTube and had content removed from the iPlayer. Two book publishers, a charity and a talent agency have terminated their relationship with him. No doubt some of the venues in which he's due to appear on a speaking tour will cancel him.

All without a single criminal charge, or indeed a shred of compelling evidence. That's all it takes to ruin someone; just an allegation. And we don't even know the identity of his accusers at the moment.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

With over 6 million followers his free speech was always going to get censored sooner or later. The type of guy he is, or certainly was, has made that easy

David L

Quote from: Slim on September 19, 2023, 01:50:56 PMIrrespective of motives I always have a problem with people dragging allegations into the open years after they're claimed to have happened, when the supposed incidents occurred in a private setting and there is absolutely no way to substantiate them. The police aren't going to be turning up looking for evidence ten, or fifteen years after these events supposedly took place.

Unless evidence has been preserved, like Monica's dress  :-\

The Picnic Wasp

The list of celebrities accused like this is growing steadily with many ultimately proved innocent. Very little seems to be revealed about the accusers even after court cases. I feel particularly sad for Leon Brittan's family who must still carry this burden after his death. What I find particularly astonishing in this current matter is an accuser stating that after her relationship with RB, she went on to have a series of sleazy relationships. I've never studied human psychology but that strikes me as odd.

Thenop

It's a bit different here, or at least over the past period. The biggest case were some men involved with 'the voice', a "talent" show (I use the term lightly).
The show has been cancelled and the persons fingered as 'those who did it' have actually been indicted with consequences and verdicts et al (accusations range from fondling with children to downright rape).
Has to be said that it was a serious investigative piece that brought this to light, so no 'let's see what holds if we throw it against the wall' kind of thing.
Personally I am happy to see these persons leave the public arena, they obviously had no place there.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 19, 2023, 05:09:51 PMThe list of celebrities accused like this is growing steadily with many ultimately proved innocent. Very little seems to be revealed about the accusers even after court cases. I feel particularly sad for Leon Brittan's family who must still carry this burden after his death. What I find particularly astonishing in this current matter is an accuser stating that after her relationship with RB, she went on to have a series of sleazy relationships. I've never studied human psychology but that strikes me as odd.
In these times though, I'm sure the (psychologist's?) view would suggest that the reason for that would lie with others rather than the person continuing to seek out those relationships. I'm sure the suggestion would be that the victim has been forced to 'normalise' the shitty behaviour of those perpetrating it.
For better or worse, the days of personal responsibility for continuing to put yourself in harm's way are long gone.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on September 19, 2023, 07:21:34 PMFor better or worse, the days of personal responsibility for continuing to put yourself in harm's way are long gone.
Absolutely.

These silly birds back in the day will have been thrilled to have been shagged by a "Star" now they realise they were shagged by a Twunt. Look love, you made your bed...

I remember a Viz photo story where this girl ended up in bed with her fave Pop-star and she thought they'd be 2Geva4Eva, but in the morning his words to her were "Listen babe, I've had my fun, now slag-off you cheap tart"

Mind, still hope Brand loses everything, took an instant dislike to him when I first saw his face, then he opened his gob...

Fishy

Watched the ch4 prog last night and he really comes across as a real prick.. some of the "comedy" clips were just agonising to watch.. I suspect most of his relationships incl the ones from the woman on the programme were consensual.. but you have to wonder why the hell these girls/woman wanted to hang about with the guy in the first place..
From The Land of Honest Men