Fawlty Towers Returning

Started by Fishy, February 10, 2023, 05:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

So what do we think.. loved the original two series from the 70s.. some of it hasn't  aged well but some of the episodes are just spot on...
From The Land of Honest Men

pdw1

Unfortunately, hasn't aged well is the polite way of describing John Cleese these days. Looks like barrel scraping from someone who doesn't care about his legacy.

Nick

Originals are classics,this is just going to sour the brand. Why can't they leave it alone, no way this is going to add anything.

David L

Quote from: Nick on February 10, 2023, 08:45:31 PMOriginals are classics,this is just going to sour the brand. Why can't they leave it alone, no way this is going to add anything.
Probably doing it for his daughter's benefit  :-\

Slim

I'm keeping an open mind until I see them, if that ever happens. The originals are clearly brilliant and if he attempted to make a new series in the same mould, that wouldn't work. But he's a clever man and he could well come up with a distinctive and creative way to use the same character from a different perspective.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Might be genius like the original series, might be atrocious; somehow, neither outcome would surprise me.

But I note that despite not one single scrap of script detail being available in the public domain, those who would tag "be kind" onto every other social media post they write are furiously spitting a lot of bile about this.  And that doesn't surprise me either.

Fishy

Quote from: pdw1 on February 10, 2023, 05:50:06 PMUnfortunately, hasn't aged well is the polite way of describing John Cleese these days. Looks like barrel scraping from someone who doesn't care about his legacy.
Yes Cleese hasn't aged well.. maybe he could have Roger Waters checking in to his new reboot..

David L

He's turned into the most bitter, curmudgeonly man on the planet. Seems to be forever blaming his choice of partner(s) on his inability to enjoy his last years.
Comedy appears to be the last thing he could turn his mind to...we'll see.
Much like the ill-advised band reunion's new album, perhaps

pdw1

Quote from: Fishy on February 10, 2023, 11:37:10 PM
Quote from: pdw1 on February 10, 2023, 05:50:06 PMUnfortunately, hasn't aged well is the polite way of describing John Cleese these days. Looks like barrel scraping from someone who doesn't care about his legacy.
Yes Cleese hasn't aged well.. maybe he could have Roger Waters checking in to his new reboot..
Don't mention the wall

Fishy

Quote from: pdw1 on February 11, 2023, 09:16:16 AM
Quote from: Fishy on February 10, 2023, 11:37:10 PM
Don't mention the wall

I think we're just out of Walldorfs....

pxr5

He'll do any shit John Cleese; I think he has a few divorces to pay for. Anyway whatever this rehash is like it will be forgotten quickly.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."