YouTube Channels

Started by Slim, March 06, 2022, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I once thought of YouTube as being primarily a way to share fuzzy old VHS and camcorder recordings from the '80s, but there's some really slick, professional content on there now.

One of my favourite creators is Jay Foreman. I like short (less than 15 mins) documentaries. They're a much better match for my attention span than 30 minutes or an hour.

Nice to see the Transporter Bridge get a mention at 4:22.  Used to go over it often as a kid,in my parents' car. In later years I often cycled there and back from my mum's house.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Neillwith2Ls

I subscribe to a lot of YouTube channels now, the vast majority being guitar related. However I've also found some fantastic content on all sorts of subjects like outdoors, camping/walking vlogs, properly nerdy Tolkien scholars, and old school desktop RPG reviews.

Two fantastic channels I regularly visit are:

That Pedal Show
A wonderfully detailed and exhaustive look at guitar effects pedals primarily, guitars, amps, and the endless quest for tone.

Erwin Saunders
An absolutely delightful channel about a guy who films pixies and other woodland faerie folk. Sounds (and is ) preposterous, but is truly wonderful and is great for the soul. He really brings the magic back, if you've a mind.

Neillwith2Ls

The Jay Foreman channel is great, thanks for the link. The Tower Bridge video was great, and I just watched a brilliant one on English Counties.

R6GYY

My most watched channel is for coffee nerds: James Hoffmann. He is seriously knowledgeable, and very entertaining. Here is his take on Aldi's Espreso Martini Wensleydale Cheese (yes, there is or was, such a thing).

Oor Wullie

PAZ2112

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hp8EmB4oZU&list=PLscJYbNeTE5mjm6gNlTtwWvt8jZ6pwPU_

A little rush from the last uk tour 25 songs from all shows from the trusty camera

PAZ2112

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOjCP8uV7noaXzMJ0oBBRwQ/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

This is my music channel mainly my live videos but with a few classics thrown in.

Slim

I love this guy's film reviews. Usually Segal movies, though the latest one isn't.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

A few regular ones:

For film reviews there is of course Kermode and Mayo; I also often check out The Critical Drinker, who seems to adopt the persona of a half-pissed reviewer giving his uninhibited views on a film, but he's so astute and entertaining that it works very well.

Then there's the various political and cultural commentators from across the spectrum, some mainstream, some on the fringes, as I like to have a good sense of the current "zeitgeist".

And of course, there was David Lynch's brief daily weather report and check-in ("Heeeeerre in L.Aaaayyy..!!"), which stopped suddenly and (appropriately) inexplicably in mid-December - hopefully because he's working on a major film or TV project, in line with what's being rumoured.

The Picnic Wasp

I'm glad this guy's back on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/PvqiDfgVnqw

He does a strange mix of some quite funny, short music spoofs and the odd serious bit of very heavy material. He's not been around for quite a while due to some strike on a video he did.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

And another one.

Published 15 minutes ago, already had 14,000 views.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Spanish drummer extraordinaire. This guy is really pushing the boundaries with his abilities. He always says talent is a myth, you just need to practice hard. Well..not so sure about that, but his videos are very entertaining. His Michael Jackson beats are fantastic, the Thriller stuff was a drum machine, and he does it by himself. Lots of one handed showboating of course, and the seeming ease he displays while doing it makes it for a great watch. Just pick out a few shorts, it'll take out a few minutes of your day. Let's see is his enthousiasm doesn't rub off...I guarantee you it will.
I like this one!
Edit: insane break alert around the 2 minute mark.

Slim

This is Tory Slusher. She makes very underproduced and dubious quality guitar tutorial videos, surrounded sometimes by her clutter at home. In this one you can see her washing hanging up behind the door.

Her finger tapping technique is jaw-dropping - she often plays her Tele with both hands, like a piano. But most of all her understanding and fluency of jazz harmony is amazing.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Another Map Men video is out!

Published seven hours ago, and it's had 326,000 views.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan