Main Menu

Beer

Started by David L, April 24, 2022, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I had another Delirium in the pub in Ashby yesterday. It's described on the blackboard there as "Delirium Tremens" and supposed to be 7.5%. However I found a bottle of the stuff at Tesco and that's 8.5%, and only labelled as "Delirium".

Anyway the bottled variant is very similar to the draught version and I think it's probably the same strength.

Also tried one of these, also from Tesco. Much darker and 10%. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the Delirium. It's a sort of Newcastle Brown on steroids.

February Wordle league table here

Slim

Tried another draught Belgian blond at a hotel in Durham last night, called Blue Moon. Came with an orange slice floating in it (I was asked if I wanted to opt out of this, but I'll try anything once).

Was very nice, not as strong or sharp as Delirium but a very refreshing accompaniment to a half hour in a beer garden.
February Wordle league table here

Matt2112

Commenced my annual week-long binge on Alfa - the first few mouthfuls of this crisp, wonderfully refreshing Greek beer when it has just come out of the cooler is utter bliss, especially at a beachfront restaurant with a gentle sea breeze wafting into your face. 8)

The Picnic Wasp

I was quite surprised and disappointed to learn recently that there is an allowable ABV tolerance of plus or minus 0.5% for beers up to 5.5% strength. I always believed beer strengths to be an accurate figure.

Matt2112

After years of visits to Greece and its islands and enjoying probably its most well-known brew Mythos, in 2019 I was in Kefalonia (the correct placement of the stress is on the last syllable, not the third) and a barman suggested I try Alfa instead: since that moment, that's been my default Greek beer.

However, at a busy, buzzing Italian restaurant in the centre of Perissa town this evening, Mythos was the only beer available, so that's what I had. I've always liked it, but this time it was better than I remembered, a little lighter on the palate than Alfa, a little less gassy, but still with that glorious cold, crisp, supremely refreshing hit.

I think it may have reclaimed its crown. :)


David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 12, 2023, 09:54:24 PMAfter years of visits to Greece and its islands and enjoying probably its most well-known brew Mythos, in 2019 I was in Kefalonia (the correct placement of the stress is on the last syllable, not the third) and a barman suggested I try Alfa instead: since that moment, that's been my default Greek beer.

However, at a busy, buzzing Italian restaurant in the centre of Perissa town this evening, Mythos was the only beer available, so that's what I had. I've always liked it, but this time it was better than I remembered, a little lighter on the palate than Alfa, a little less gassy, but still with that glorious cold, crisp, supremely refreshing hit.

I think it may have reclaimed its crown. :)


In my experience, the taste of beer and wine is greatly affected by the circumstances in which it is consumed. A bit weird, but so often the flavour seems influenced by the time and the place

Matt2112

Quite possibly.

The best pint of Guinness I ever had was in Belfast. Or was it on that top floor bar at the end of Dublin's Guinness brewery tour, with its panoramic view of the fair city, and where the first pint is "free"?

It's a close call. :)

Matt2112

Making the most of a day off tomorrow by nipping down the local for a "couple" (and from where I tap out this post).

Delighted that mine hosts have Ossett Brewery's Silver King as one of the guest ales - this 4.3% APA really is absolute nectar and up there with the all-time classic British real ales as far as I'm concerned.

It's...beautiful...!

 

Slim

Quote from: David L on August 12, 2023, 10:20:36 PMIn my experience, the taste of beer and wine is greatly affected by the circumstances in which it is consumed. A bit weird, but so often the flavour seems influenced by the time and the place

There are certain mugs I can't drink coffee out of, because it tastes wrong.
February Wordle league table here

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on October 13, 2023, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: David L on August 12, 2023, 10:20:36 PMIn my experience, the taste of beer and wine is greatly affected by the circumstances in which it is consumed. A bit weird, but so often the flavour seems influenced by the time and the place

There are certain mugs I can't drink coffee out of, because it tastes wrong.

I'm the same with tea.  Only like it out of certain mugs at home..
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

This has reminded me to order some traditional dimpled pint beer mugs online tonight. Been meaning to for ages. I notice Drinkstuff carry half pint versions as well and they're cheaper than I expected.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 13, 2023, 04:56:19 PMThis has reminded me to order some traditional dimpled pint beer mugs online tonight. Been meaning to for ages. I notice Drinkstuff carry half pint versions as well and they're cheaper than I expected.
'Grenades'

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on October 13, 2023, 07:06:48 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 13, 2023, 04:56:19 PMThis has reminded me to order some traditional dimpled pint beer mugs online tonight. Been meaning to for ages. I notice Drinkstuff carry half pint versions as well and they're cheaper than I expected.
'Grenades'

First time I've heard them called that.😁

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on October 13, 2023, 09:21:54 AMThere are certain mugs I can't drink coffee out of, because it tastes wrong.
When I was at work some bastard(s) used to keep using my coffee mug and I had to use one of the grotty things that had been left behind by previous employees. Never tasted as good as from my grey Sainsbury's mug.

Speaking of mugs, I have several sets of wine glasses from a company called Riedel which are supposed to enhance the flavours of different wines. Whether it does or not I don't know, the only time I tried a comparison I was already well pissed. They look nice though :)

Same with Belgian breweries all doing different style glasses for their beers, got a cupboard full of those too...

Matt2112

I've found that San Miguel is still pretty good out of an Erdinger glass.