What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Completed the first season of Halo last night. You know sometimes, I get side-tracked and only give limited attention to a show, but for some reason Halo really kept my attention throughout. There were a couple of duller episodes, but overall (9 eps) the pace kept me gripped and I found it really enjoyable. Some of the battle scenes were excellently done, especially the first person perspective moments (like a fps game). The CGI was well done too and the alien planets look spectacular in 4K HDR10. In fact I'm going to up my rating to 9/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

I've ended my Netflix subscription following finishing off Season 4 of Stranger Things.

It ends on August 15th so I thought I might as well see if there is anything worth watching while I've still got access.

So last night we watched a Netflix original film - The Man From Toronto, which pretty much delivers what it promises from the trailer. We were drawn in by the pairing of stars Kevin Hart and Woody Harrelson.

Ok, but not terrific. Probably 3.5/5. Worth a watch, but the director Patrick Hughes' The Hitman's Bodyguard is much better if you haven't seen it and are in the market for a comedy action thrill ride.

pxr5

Movie Night. The Black Phone - A horror/thriller set in 1978 follows the story of child abductions by 'The Grabber' and focuses on one boy involved in the crimes. The feel of 1978 is captured brilliantly (much better than the 80s of Stranger Things). The two main child actors really are superb. One scene in particular of the little girl being 'belted' by her father is just so realistic and disturbing. Ethan Hawke exudes evilness and is great in the role. A definite recommendation - 9/10

Nick

One of the two you tube channels I follow, Bald and Bankrupt just posted a fantastic adventure to see the Soviet "Buran" space shuttle in Kazakstan. Remarkable adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZ-r5Qe3tM

R6GYY

Last night we dug out a favourite on bluray - Twister, with the late, great, Bill Paxton.

Always a great watch.

Matt2112

Quote from: R6GYY on July 31, 2022, 08:17:59 PMLast night we dug out a favourite on bluray - Twister, with the late, great, Bill Paxton.

Always a great watch.

Also featuring Humans Being by Van Halen. :)

pxr5

More zombies with Resident Evil - the TV show. I've watched all the movies from this franchise and they've all been pretty crap to be frank. Anyway I went in to this quite cold and knew nothing about it at all. But my wife and I enjoyed the first 2 episodes quite a lot and it's well done overall. Again though they've used black actors for what were originally white characters, but that seems normal these days. Anyway I checked out the show on iMDB - 3.8 lol. It really isn't that bad, but the aforementioned fact that the characters have been changed and possibly the reviewers are Resident Evil game fanboys leads partly to such a low score I think. Me, I'll give it 7/10 so far.

R6GYY

We tried the 1st episode of Paper Girls last night. Hmm. Not entirely convinced yet, and Sian thought it was rubbish. I'll probably watch another episode on my own to see if it 'gels'. Ok-ish build-up and introduction to the characters, but it all went a bit disjointed after about 25 minutes.

Is this the 1st of many Stanger Things wannabees?

pxr5

Quote from: R6GYY on August 02, 2022, 05:44:34 PMWe tried the 1st episode of Paper Girls last night. Hmm. Not entirely convinced yet, and Sian thought it was rubbish. I'll probably watch another episode on my own to see if it 'gels'. Ok-ish build-up and introduction to the characters, but it all went a bit disjointed after about 25 minutes.

Is this the 1st of many Stanger Things wannabees?
Paper Girls is next on my list to watch. Hopefully it'll improve.

Nick

Trainwreck Woodstock 99 -Netflix- Jesus what a shitshow (the festival not the program)

pxr5

Completed Resident Evil last night. The first 4 episodes were a lot better than the last 4. I doubt it will get a second series due to the very poor reviews and the culls than streaming companies are making right now. I'm down-grading my rating to 5.5/10 too.

dom

Been watching Murder in Successville, I know it aired a few years ago but it can be so funny, well worth a watch.

The Jamie Lang (S1, Ep1) and Richard Osman (S3, Ep 1) episodes had me in stitches 

Nick

Only murders in the building series 2 -Disney-

Nick

pxr5

Started on s series that's being shown on Channel 5 called La Brea. Basically a massive sink hole opens up in the middle of LA. All those that fall in end up going back in time to LA 10000 BC. It's a good idea, but most of the money must have been spent on the pilot as after that it becomes a cliched, formulaic drag. I'll see it through though - the masochist that I am  ;D