Main Menu

Gigs

Started by Slim, February 24, 2022, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on April 19, 2023, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 19, 2023, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: dom on April 19, 2023, 01:19:00 PMThe crowd was highly appreciative which made me wonder whether it was me.
It was you  ;)

Facebook says they sounded great - but Captain Ron is a very effusive fanboi...
Was he there?
Yes, and Terry, but she spent most of the night with the quits by the sound of it.

Slim

Saw Mamas Gun in Nottingham last week. Very good night, but they were better in Birmingham last year.

They nearly completely ignore the more quirky, fun stuff from their first three albums now in favour of the more traditional soul sound from the last couple of records. Very classy though.

This guy was the support act - also really good.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Riverside were excellent in Glasgae tonight. Next Brum.

Nickslikk2112

Riverside smashed it out of the park tonight.

Bring on Manchester.

Ali

And as predicted by Nick, Riverside were absolutely superb in Manchester tonight (I'd never seen them live before despite owning their/Lunatic Soul's complete back catalogue)

Lovely to catch-up with Simmsy and the ever-radiant Mrs S 😊

Nickslikk2112

And it was good to catch up again with Ali, must book more gigs to see if our paths cross again.

I suppose it was better still to see Riverside again, I might be a deluded fanboi, but there isn't a better live band out there, certainly not a happier one - even if the drummer has a face like a Bulldog chewing a Wasp (I can say that now I'm not stalking them)

It's a bit disconcerting that the band recognise me now, the regular fans on the front row were mentioned last night. That included me and a few women - chicks at prog gigs? - there was a French lady who was at all three shows I did, an Italian girl at two and an Afro-Caribbean lady from Nottingham at two, I was surprised not to see her at Glasgow as well as she's been down the front at every other Riverside show I've seen since 2017.

dom

I was surprised by the amount of women at the Dublin gig too.

Did the setlist change at all?

Thenop

David Eugene Edwards tonight. Let the Gloom & Doom (well..) commence. Theatre setting, looking forward to that.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on April 23, 2023, 11:32:32 PMI was surprised by the amount of women at the Dublin gig too.

Did the setlist change at all?
No changes. Although last night it appears that they dropped The Depth of Self Delusion.

Thenop

David Eugene Edwards - April 24th, Tivoli Utrecht, 'Hertz' venue

It was a few years back I saw David Eugene Edwards (DEE) last. He released some new music since then and toured it, but the Covid period slowed him down as well. As former frontman of 16 Horsepower he has seen large venues in the 90's and starting over as Wovenhand in the 00's it took him a while to bring in the crowds. Speaking to various people there, a large number would want him to do his 16HP set, he did some of those songs, but mainly it was WH stuff. Much to my pleasure, I am more of a WH than a 16HP fan. Although fan in this respect is a bit weird I need to say.
This is not a an immediate likeable artist. His deeply Christian rooted lyrics are sometimes a bit hard to fathom but he is no preacher. In fact, he is shy and has difficulty greeting even the audience. After this last song it was 'thank you goodbye' and returning for one song only ('Whistling Girl') was already quite unique, he rarely re-appears after leaving the stage. 70 minutes all in and it was over.
Truth be told (no pun intended) 70 minutes of his music, which consisted this time of the man himself, his acoustic guitar or mandolin and his effect pedal board is enough. The music itself is quite heavy to take in, rarely a major chord is heard and his voice, drenched in echo spitting out his most inner thoughts, often supported by head and hand gestures, are a mesmerizing sight.
The setting, this is the most theatre like setting with 500 seats and a large backdrop, felt a bit too comfortable for me. I would have been happy standing, a bit closer and more claustrophobic fits the music. On earlier occasions I have seen him with a backing band each time a little louder, electrical instruments filling the room with incantations made up from tonalities new to me. A constant played Native American musical backdrop never giving you moments rest,  it brings on quite a mood.

It is quite something though, to see 1 man sitting on a stool take over the entire room with his appearance and personality, and music.
I have been told a large number of metalheads and artists alike really admire his music and perhaps it is why I am drawn to it as well: it is quite dark and bleak in some parts. Not unlike some extreme metal I enjoy (maybe not enjoy-enjoy) listen to.

All in all another intense experience, and that for a Monday night!

Matt2112

Fri 31st March
STEWART LEE, Salford Lowry ****
Thu 27th April
JOHN HEGLEY, Halifax Square Chapel ****
Thu 18th May
SIMON MUNNERY, Leeds The Old Woollen

Thu 25th May
RICKY GERVAIS, Leeds First Direct Arena
Sun 18th June
YES, Manchester Bridgewater Hall

Tue 20th June
MUSE / ROYAL BLOOD, Huddersfield John Smith's Stadium
Wed 28th June
IRON MAIDEN, Leeds First Direct Arena
Sat 8th July
JAMES, Halifax Piece Hall

Wed 22nd May
RICHARD MARX, London Royal Albert Hall
Thu 23rd May
YES, Manchester Bridgewater Hall

captainkurtz

Blur - Newcastle City Hall - 28th May 2023
Primavera- 1st-4th June 2023
Arctic Monkeys - Middlesbrough - 5th June
Kiss - Newcastle Arena - 6th June 2023
Roger Waters - Manchester Arena - 10th June 2023
Royal Blood - Newcastle City Hall - 21st June 2023
Peter Gabriel - Manchester Arena - 23rd June 2023
Siouxie - Tynemouth Priory - 7th July 2023
The Winery Dogs - Newcastle Riverside 3rd October 2023
Glenn Hughes - Boiler Shop - 17th October 2023
Norah Jones -  Gateshead Sage - 4th November 2023
Teenage Fanclub - Sage - 9th November 2023
Ben folds - Sage - 15th November 2023

Ace2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 21, 2023, 11:26:09 PMRiverside smashed it out of the park tonight.

Bring on Manchester.

Shame they didn't hit Bristol on this one, seen them here a few times and fantastic every time (although I must admit to finding the new guitarist a bit meh).

Saw Devin Townsend a few weeks back, have Alcest booked for October and HRH Prog Festival booked in for November :)

Ace2112

Quote from: Nick on February 25, 2022, 10:10:28 PMPorcupine tree in November at Wembley arena.

Was a bloody cracking gig that! Had decent seats and took the 14 year old who was completely blown away by it :)

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Ace2112 on May 06, 2023, 11:53:49 AM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 21, 2023, 11:26:09 PMRiverside smashed it out of the park tonight.

Bring on Manchester.

Shame they didn't hit Bristol on this one, seen them here a few times and fantastic every time (although I must admit to finding the new guitarist a bit meh).

Hoping they might play Bristol when they return next year as I've never been. The new guy's coming out of his shell now, I got him headbanging a bit this year :)