Main Menu

Gigs

Started by Slim, February 24, 2022, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: David L on October 24, 2022, 04:56:08 PM
Quote from: Slim on October 24, 2022, 02:46:49 PM
Quote from: dom on October 24, 2022, 02:35:04 PMGreat pic!  What's all the onstage foliage about?
Thanks!

They always do that. Just part of the schtick. I saw Hamilton and Noble collecting bits of tree outside before a gig at Leicester last year. Actually a year ago tonight come to think of it.

How do you go about "collecting bits of tree" without resorting to vandalism?

Trees get lopped anyway - they're not removing thick branches off oak trees or anything like that.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Saw Marillion 2 nights ago, they were great. H. was in a good mood, very talkative, and the band sounded great.
New album was played in total, I like the album so good for me. Some less than normal played songs as well, Fantastic Place was great.

Slim

I saw The Bug Club at a last night at the International Arts Centre in Leicester, which is a music venue something akin to a church hall with a bar.

They were terrific! Really tight, powerful three piece rock'n'roll band. Something like a cross between Supergrass, Jonathan Richman and Cream, without being as incoherent as that description might suggest. Just loads of energy.

The stage was about seven inches off the floor if that, and it was the worst view of a band that I think I've ever had, until I moved closer to the front later on. For most of the set I could only see the band members' heads bobbing over people in front of me. And I'm 6'1"! I used to be 6'2" but cycling has worn my knee joints down a bit.

To be fair the band members are all a bit short apart from the drummer, and he was sitting down.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

At Porcupine tree in Amsterdam. No pictures please at request of the band. Let's see how that goes.

Edit: people now taking pics of the announcements on the screen that says not to take pictures. Ehm... Nothing to see here folks, move on.

pxr5

Quote from: Thenop on November 07, 2022, 05:39:30 PMAt Porcupine tree in Amsterdam. No pictures please at request of the band. Let's see how that goes.

Edit: people now taking pics of the announcements on the screen that says not to take pictures. Ehm... Nothing to see here folks, move on.
Seems you are being filmed, better smile and show some enthusiasm lol  ;)

Link
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Quote from: pxr5 on November 07, 2022, 09:45:58 PM
Quote from: Thenop on November 07, 2022, 05:39:30 PMAt Porcupine tree in Amsterdam. No pictures please at request of the band. Let's see how that goes.

Seems you are being filmed, better smile and show some enthusiasm lol  ;)

Yeah noticed this. Not sure they want me smiling though..
Show was very good, maybe too good. This band approaches perfection in playing and does so effortlessly. Impressive. Enjoyed this one sitting down, don't usually do that but made the right choice. Good seats, had a great night.

pdw1

QuoteShow was very good, maybe too good. This band approaches perfection in playing and does so effortlessly. Impressive. Enjoyed this one sitting down, don't usually do that but made the right choice. Good seats, had a great night.
London shows was exquisite. Great sound (for an Arena), great playing and an excellent choice of tracks. Brilliant.

R6GYY

I forgot to mention that Level 42 put on an excellent show last Sunday. The support act was a pleasant surprise - someone we had actually heard of - Mari Wilson (Just What I Always Wanted).

Sian is the big fan and the show was a birthday present for her and she really loved it. Her only complaint being that the 3-strong brass section should get some proper choreography going on.

I was mightily impressed with the drummer. I've looked him up - someone by the name of Pete Ray Biggin.

Ali

Quote from: pdw1 on November 12, 2022, 12:48:53 AM
QuoteShow was very good, maybe too good. This band approaches perfection in playing and does so effortlessly. Impressive. Enjoyed this one sitting down, don't usually do that but made the right choice. Good seats, had a great night.
London shows was exquisite. Great sound (for an Arena), great playing and an excellent choice of tracks. Brilliant.

As much as I was happy to see them back and the musicianship was exemplary, I don't think the show reached the almost religious fervour generated by SW's solo shows (particularly the Raven and HCE tours)

Think was mainly down to the whole of the new album being aired, as good as it is I don't think it matches peak PT or solo levels

Obviously I've still snaffled a ticket for Manchester next year like 😁

Pudders

Crossed one off the list last night with Corky Laing, supported by Brave Rival. Gigs at the Bullingdon can be sparsely populated so it was good to see 50 or 60 in for the support who, it must be said exceeded my already high expectations. Definitely worth checking out if they are new to you.
These small venue gigs are great when they allow you to have a quick chat with someone like Corky, at the end of the night. What a nice bloke! The guy is 74 and still playing as good as ever. The set leaned heavily on early Mountain tracks but also included a few from his latest album and at least one West, Bruce and Laing cut. Great great fun!

Nickslikk2112

Really enjoyed Opeth's Evolution XXX show at the Hammersmith Odeon last Friday. My first ever visit to the Hammy O and sixth different venue I've seen Opeth at in London all of which were first visits for me. Nice to know that they had treated themselves to a Juicer to celebrate their anniversary.

The setlist consisted of one song from each of their 13 albums as allegedly chosen by the fans. The only one which will have been a fan choice for sure was Black Rose Immortal 20 minutes of randomly stitched together riffing and you can't get better than that - apart from George Michael's Faith...

Was impressed with the new drummer, stylistically somewhere between Lopez and Axe.

Thenop

Alter Bridge last night. Good show, a fair deal of material from the new album. Which is good, I like the album.
Venue was a bit big for them but filled OK, second ring was closed.
Opener Wolfgang van Halen and his band were very good, he has a great voice.
Halestorm were OK, not that big of a fan.

Only 3 songs off of Blackbird, but with 3 songs from III you'll get no complaints from me.

Pudders

Kira Mac were great a couple of nights ago, (heavyish) bluesy rock, right up my strasse. Slightly unsure when found out lead singer was a former The Voice contestant but she certainly had 'a' voice and fronted the band superbly. And £12 to get in!

Next up for me is Sweet, next week at the O2 in Oxford. Just Andy Scott left from the original band and, for many, understandably, that makes them barely 'Sweet'. But, never seen them and had nothing else on so, why not?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Pudders on December 02, 2022, 11:52:11 AMNext up for me is Sweet, next week at the O2 in Oxford. Just Andy Scott left from the original band and, for many, understandably, that makes them barely 'Sweet'. But, never seen them and had nothing else on so, why not?
But understandable he's the only one left :)

The Picnic Wasp

Is Andy Scott the one who used to deliberately lip sync badly during Blockbuster on TOTP?