Holidays 2023

Started by Nick, December 30, 2022, 09:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basspedalman

Quote from: David L on July 23, 2023, 10:59:38 PMBack home now after our wonderful break in Kent. We did far more cycling than we thought we would (and no more 'mechanicals') culminating in a nice ride yesterday.
Headed down the Crab & Winkle Way to the outskirts of Canterbury, then through the University of Kent campus to Broad Oak. From there we took the road towards Maypole before diverting eastwards through East Blean woods.
Around 2:00pm, it started p***ing down (a bit earlier than it was forecasted at 4:00pm). Luckily, by then we were settled in the tap room at Goody's brewery! Located just outside Herne, Goody's is a fairly rustic set up but the beer was OK and the bonus was the fact that they did great pizzas! An enjoyable couple of hours and we set off with the rain slightly easing towards Herne Bay for a couple in the Bouncing Barrel with our new found friends, 'Kev The Screw', 'Dangerous Dave', 'Double Denim', Malc, and 'CSI' (Mark). A couple of pints of the lovely Citra from Oakham.
A great last day.
We've really taken to the north Kent coast/Canterbury area. It has so much more to offer than I ever thought it would. I even got a live music fix on Friday night at The Harbour Garden. A lovely meal and superb Italian Pinot Grigio Rosé, cheap enough at £24 a bottle. The band, The Dial, were excellent playing covers from Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Lionel Ritchie to more modern stuff like Bruno Mars and Walk The Moon. Had a great natter with the guitarist afterwards. Being  (I guess) in his sixties, we could talk easily about our musical tastes. He'd had a whole life in music, working in London studios, first as a tape op and then carrying out production work etc. Actually, he thanked me and the missus for 'getting the party started' (we love a boogie, we do!). They had all been professional musicians.....and it showed.
We will probably head back down towards the end of October (we must see Broadstairs) but not before a return to Hope for August Bank Holiday and then Menorca in September for our first holiday abroad since Covid.

I live in Ramsgate. Goody's is a great brewery and their brewery tap is indeed lovely. Did you miss The Butchers' Arms in Herne? If you come down this way again, let me know and I can guide you to some other great spots.

David L

Quote from: Basspedalman on October 04, 2023, 05:25:12 PM
Quote from: David L on July 23, 2023, 10:59:38 PMBack home now after our wonderful break in Kent. We did far more cycling than we thought we would (and no more 'mechanicals') culminating in a nice ride yesterday.
Headed down the Crab & Winkle Way to the outskirts of Canterbury, then through the University of Kent campus to Broad Oak. From there we took the road towards Maypole before diverting eastwards through East Blean woods.
Around 2:00pm, it started p***ing down (a bit earlier than it was forecasted at 4:00pm). Luckily, by then we were settled in the tap room at Goody's brewery! Located just outside Herne, Goody's is a fairly rustic set up but the beer was OK and the bonus was the fact that they did great pizzas! An enjoyable couple of hours and we set off with the rain slightly easing towards Herne Bay for a couple in the Bouncing Barrel with our new found friends, 'Kev The Screw', 'Dangerous Dave', 'Double Denim', Malc, and 'CSI' (Mark). A couple of pints of the lovely Citra from Oakham.
A great last day.
We've really taken to the north Kent coast/Canterbury area. It has so much more to offer than I ever thought it would. I even got a live music fix on Friday night at The Harbour Garden. A lovely meal and superb Italian Pinot Grigio Rosé, cheap enough at £24 a bottle. The band, The Dial, were excellent playing covers from Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Lionel Ritchie to more modern stuff like Bruno Mars and Walk The Moon. Had a great natter with the guitarist afterwards. Being  (I guess) in his sixties, we could talk easily about our musical tastes. He'd had a whole life in music, working in London studios, first as a tape op and then carrying out production work etc. Actually, he thanked me and the missus for 'getting the party started' (we love a boogie, we do!). They had all been professional musicians.....and it showed.
We will probably head back down towards the end of October (we must see Broadstairs) but not before a return to Hope for August Bank Holiday and then Menorca in September for our first holiday abroad since Covid.

I live in Ramsgate. Goody's is a great brewery and their brewery tap is indeed lovely. Did you miss The Butchers' Arms in Herne? If you come down this way again, let me know and I can guide you to some other great spots.
That's a kind offer. Ah, The Butcher's Arms was one micro-pub that I really wanted to visit as it, supposedly, is the country's first. However, visiting when it was open proved to be rather difficult. The opening times are arbitrary, to say the least! We love it down there so I'm confident we'll get there one day.
I bet you've enjoyed a breakfast at Ship Shape on Ramsgate harbour - excellent!