Holidays 2023

Started by Nick, December 30, 2022, 09:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Back home now after our wonderful break in Kent. We did far more cycling than we thought we would (and no more 'mechanicals') culminating in a nice ride yesterday.
Headed down the Crab & Winkle Way to the outskirts of Canterbury, then through the University of Kent campus to Broad Oak. From there we took the road towards Maypole before diverting eastwards through East Blean woods.
Around 2:00pm, it started p***ing down (a bit earlier than it was forecasted at 4:00pm). Luckily, by then we were settled in the tap room at Goody's brewery! Located just outside Herne, Goody's is a fairly rustic set up but the beer was OK and the bonus was the fact that they did great pizzas! An enjoyable couple of hours and we set off with the rain slightly easing towards Herne Bay for a couple in the Bouncing Barrel with our new found friends, 'Kev The Screw', 'Dangerous Dave', 'Double Denim', Malc, and 'CSI' (Mark). A couple of pints of the lovely Citra from Oakham.
A great last day.
We've really taken to the north Kent coast/Canterbury area. It has so much more to offer than I ever thought it would. I even got a live music fix on Friday night at The Harbour Garden. A lovely meal and superb Italian Pinot Grigio Rosé, cheap enough at £24 a bottle. The band, The Dial, were excellent playing covers from Fleetwood Mac, ELO, Lionel Ritchie to more modern stuff like Bruno Mars and Walk The Moon. Had a great natter with the guitarist afterwards. Being  (I guess) in his sixties, we could talk easily about our musical tastes. He'd had a whole life in music, working in London studios, first as a tape op and then carrying out production work etc. Actually, he thanked me and the missus for 'getting the party started' (we love a boogie, we do!). They had all been professional musicians.....and it showed.
We will probably head back down towards the end of October (we must see Broadstairs) but not before a return to Hope for August Bank Holiday and then Menorca in September for our first holiday abroad since Covid.

Matt2112

Jet 2 package holidays to Rhodes can be nabbed for not much more than £500 pp at the moment.

Flights to all resorts bar three in the south of the island will resume on 31st July.

Recommended if anyone fancies a last minute deal - the local tourist economy is depending on it.

For research purposes I also would recommend joining an FB group dedicated to sharing information and discussion for various resorts, which give an up-to-the-minute view from the ground; I'm a member of 'Friends of Pefkos', where a common theme atm is angry exasperation at the hysterical, misleading reporting of the British media - so don't let it put you off.

Fishy

Been keeping an eye on Majorca temps.. we're there 8th Aug... 28/29 degrees.. that'll do nicely👍
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Quote from: Slim on July 14, 2023, 11:14:26 AM
Quote from: David L on July 14, 2023, 09:22:17 AMWe are on holiday!

Have a lovely time! We're off to Scotland in a few weeks.
In Wick right now. Drove from Dornoch this morning. I believe we're closer to Norway than  London at the moment.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Long story, but I was finally able to book our summer jollies at the very last minute - of course, it has to be a Greek island, so we're off to Santorini. 8)

Nickslikk2112

Booked another weekend break in Glasgow.

Never been before this year and this will make third visit of the year. Not seen much of it, just Sauchiehall Street (a dump) for a gig, and a few streets with cyclists on them.

David L

Arrived in Ciutadella, Menorca yesterday. Had the best journey to Stansted airport with my friend, Richard, who started doing executive travel a while back. Very relaxing, Jet2 flight was good, swift bag-drop and on time. Nice to only have to spend 2 hours on a plane. Picking up the motor was a bit of a drag though. I think we were upgraded as I said I preferred a manual over auto. We've got a VW T-Cross (expecting a Seat Ibiza). I had to bring an attendant's notice to the condition of the driver's seat - filthy, with a nice chocolate (?😳) stain across it. Anyway, it was sorted and we were off. Short (40min) drive to Ciutadella, brought into land by Google Maps.
We are impressed with the appartment, we were'nt expecting a sea-view...or an extra bedroom. Nice. Arrived a bit later than expected but still in daylight, at 7:00pm local time.
It's in a great spot for the centre of town. We had a walk around and a nice, basic meal at a harbour-side restaurant. It's a lovely, historic place with a fine cathedral and lots of nice, little shops. Lots of swanky gin-palaces in the harbour.
Today, it's off to Lidl to stock up and chill by the pool. I bought another book by David Hepworth, Uncommon People - The rise and fall of the rockstar. Should make a start today. Expecting temperatures of 28c.
So far, so good 😎 

Thenop

Leaving tomorrow for a few days away with the wife. Staying in the country, not too far away but far enough. It's a cabin in the woods with very little traffic in terms of people.

Will get some reading done, relaxing in general and long nights to sleep because it's dark and quiet there.

Matt2112

The one and only "indulgence" spend from my settlement has gone on a family mini-break during the next school holidays: two nights in Athens to visit the Acropolis (a bucket list item) and then flying in to central London for a couple of nights, seeing Frozen - The Musical.

Ali

Had a few breaks of various lengths to warmer climes this year, Lagos on the Algarve, Protaras in Cyprus, Cala Millor in Mallorca, Arrecife in Lanzarote and Qawra in Malta....got a cheap flight to Cyprus again in November sorted 😃

Slim

I don't really understand holidays, to be honest. I only go on them for the sake of my marriage.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on October 03, 2023, 12:41:06 PMI don't really understand holidays, to be honest. I only go on them for the sake of my marriage.

Novel concept by shrewd entrepreneurs that lure you to far away countries where you spend most of your time finding a restaurant that serves 'food from home'.

Slim

I've never had food in a foreign country that comes close to the better Tesco ready meals.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on October 03, 2023, 12:41:06 PMI don't really understand holidays, to be honest. I only go on them for the sake of my marriage.
I understand them, but cannot relax because I can't put an out of office on and get lots of emails and texts that I can't ignore.  Spend more time being anxious about what's coming than if I was at home..

Fishy

Off to Arran again  for a week this weekend.. weather looks shit but I don't care...
From The Land of Honest Men