What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Been going through all the stuff I brought back from my Dad's house and I found a load of letters written in WWII from some of her cousins and an uncle to my nana and family.

Lots of mundane things, but fascinating. Seems that aunt Emily never replied to her letters and soldiers dreamed of Pork Pie and beer and seeing of Jerry. Cousin Wilfred in his last letter was dreaming of coming home and getting pissed every day. Bit of a downer really as he was killed in Libya four days later.

pxr5

Just reported to Lancs. police my dash cam video of the guy in front of me running a red light. I wouldn't normally bother, but this was so blatant and a few seconds after the light went red, nearly causing a crash from a car coming from the right who had to slam on and sound his horn. Dead easy to do as well, took 5 minutes.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on February 23, 2023, 02:27:59 PMJust reported to Lancs. police my dash cam video of the guy in front of me running a red light. I wouldn't normally bother, but this was so blatant and a few seconds after the light went red, nearly causing a crash from a car coming from the right who had to slam on and sound his horn. Dead easy to do as well, took 5 minutes.
Lancashire police couldn't give a stuff about this sort of thing. Trust me, I'm a cyclist.

Matt2112

The beginning of a reconciliation with an old, cherished friend who lives in California - we fell out some years ago over something relatively trivial in the grand scheme of things; today we apologised to each other and are now catching up on the years we weren't communicating.

Very, very glad this has happened.

Slim

Fantastic view of Orion from the back garden tonight, to the south. Wife wanted to know what the bright star low above the horizon was. I thought probably a planet, but it was Sirius, 8.6 light years away.

I wondered what the star to the right of it was - looked it up and it's Beta Canis Majoris, about 500 light years away.

At Warp Factor 6, it would take the USS Enterprise more than two years to get there.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Building a vcsa 7.03 on VMware workstation
From The Land of Honest Men

Basspedalman

Quote from: Fishy on February 23, 2023, 10:46:58 PMBuilding a vcsa 7.03 on VMware workstation

Wish I had a clue what that meant.... Congratulations anyway!!   ;D

Matt2112

Quote from: Basspedalman on February 24, 2023, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: Fishy on February 23, 2023, 10:46:58 PMBuilding a vcsa 7.03 on VMware workstation

Wish I had a clue what that meant.... Congratulations anyway!!   ;D

Quite - as I've said before, I would say it's all Greek to me, except I actually can read and understand Greek far more than the IT posts on here.

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on February 23, 2023, 10:38:56 PMFantastic view of Orion from the back garden tonight, to the south. Wife wanted to know what the bright star low above the horizon was. I thought probably a planet, but it was Sirius, 8.6 light years away.

I wondered what the star to the right of it was - looked it up and it's Beta Canis Majoris, about 500 light years away.

At Warp Factor 6, it would take the USS Enterprise more than two years to get there.

I love guessing what the nightsky offers. When we walk the dogs at night and the sky is clear I can, around this time of year, easily spot Jupiter, Mars & Sirius - it flickers slightly so is easily recognizable. Mid coming week Jupiter & Venus are nearly overlapping here so I am keeping my fingers crossed for a clear sky on Wednesday night.

dom

Was out early evening yesterday. Cloudless deepening blue sky.Two stars beautifully in view  toward the horizon one higher, one lower. Found out after it was Venus and Jupiter

Fishy

Yep saw Venus and Jupiter again tonight.. just great
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Did a guitar "demo" performance - on semi-acoustic then electric - at our local school's assembly this morning, in front of three year groups of about 200 children (including my daughter) and a couple of dozen teaching staff.

There was a Q&A afterwards - which I wasn't expecting - and I half expected some kid just to ask, "What the heck was THAT?!" but they were extremely polite and I think I achieved my goal of impressing them.

Which is just as well, as I was bricking it beforehand, fearing a "Marty McFly" moment when I'd finished my performance. :)

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 27, 2023, 02:12:50 PMDid a guitar "demo" performance - on semi-acoustic then electric - at our local school's assembly this morning, in front of three year groups of about 200 children (including my daughter) and a couple of dozen teaching staff.

There was a Q&A afterwards - which I wasn't expecting - and I half expected some kid just to ask, "What the heck was THAT?!" but they were extremely polite and I think I achieved my goal of impressing them.

Which is just as well, as I was bricking it beforehand, fearing a "Marty McFly" moment when I'd finished my performance. :)

Nice one!  What did you play for them?

Matt2112

Quote from: dom on February 27, 2023, 02:49:46 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on February 27, 2023, 02:12:50 PMDid a guitar "demo" performance - on semi-acoustic then electric - at our local school's assembly this morning, in front of three year groups of about 200 children (including my daughter) and a couple of dozen teaching staff.

Basically, stuff I'd stolen from Hendrix and EVH. Still buzzing from it. :)

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 27, 2023, 03:43:39 PM
Quote from: dom on February 27, 2023, 02:49:46 PM

Basically, stuff I'd stolen from Hendrix and EVH. Still buzzing from it. :)

Perhaps the best education they received that day ;D