Steve Harley Has Died

Started by The Picnic Wasp, March 17, 2024, 11:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Very, very saddened to hear this news. I've always felt a strong emotional attachment to the song Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me) as my grandfather bought me the single for my fifteenth birthday. He didn't usually do things like that, maybe a fiver in a card which my mum would buy and probably write too. He died the next year whilst with us on holiday. Yes, a special song in so many ways and a really talented man.

RIP Steve.

Slim

I just heard this ten minutes ago, very sad news. I played two Cockney Rebel albums a lot as a teenager, Best Years of Our Lives and Psychomodo. I listened to both of them a few months ago for the first time since the '70s and they held up really well as I mentioned here.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Really sad news - he was only touring here just last year. What a brilliant musician he was with some fantastic songs. RIP indeed.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Can't say as I was ever a big fan, but Steve Harley along with Cockney Rebel have always been there in the background. Enjoyed him when I saw him at Reading in 1983.

RIP Steve

David L

My first compilation with original artists (K-Tel's 40 Supergreats -1975) had Cockney Rebel's 'Mr Soft' on it. That was a bit too weird for my taste at the time but 'Make Me Smile' fits into the category of near-perfect pop tune. An absolute belter from our schooldays.
RIP