Main Menu

Hitting the wall

Started by The Picnic Wasp, October 27, 2023, 12:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

I've been in love with the bass since first discovering Geddy, but it was always at the expense of becoming proficient on guitar, even though I buy those as well. It's the collector in me I suppose, but recently I have become a bit more disciplined and doing my best to improve. YouTube is a Godsend for someone like me. However, last week I decided to tackle that masterpiece A Design For Life. I'd love to get to grips with this song, but the chord changes are heartbreakingly difficult for me. Anyone else's remember an occasional setback like this?

Thenop

With nearly 40 years of experience of playing drums, I can safely say that giving it a rest for a short period of time works wonders for me. I used to take lessons, we'd try and work on something, I just about got it there,  just about not, and left the lesson there.
A week later I picked it up and somehow the work put in earlier had found its way trhough my synapses and had done its magic.

Slim

If you can afford a guitar teacher, I know a brilliant one. Very patient and friendly and a bottomless pit of music theory understanding.

Scottish as well, that's got to count for something.

Have you seen this? Which chords are the tough ones? There are no hard chords in there, just chords you haven't got used to yet.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Maybe we could have a What Are You Working On At The Moment thread to help focus minds and provide a bit of mutual encouragement. Would be useful for me, I think.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on October 27, 2023, 01:48:44 PMMaybe we could have a What Are You Working On At The Moment thread to help focus minds and provide a bit of mutual encouragement. Would be useful for me, I think.

Yes, wonderful idea.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on October 27, 2023, 01:47:17 PMIf you can afford a guitar teacher, I know a brilliant one. Very patient and friendly and a bottomless pit of music theory understanding.

Scottish as well, that's got to count for something.

Have you seen this? Which chords are the tough ones? There are no hard chords in there, just chords you haven't got used to yet.

It's the change to the E flat Maj 7. It just feels such an awkward stretch from the previous. Lessons are probably a good idea but I feel I should get myself further into shape before embarrassing myself in front of someone. It's my own fault. Years of lazy noodling and not pushing to improve. I need to set some goals while the ligaments will allow. The new thread idea is excellent.

Thenop

If you're confident enough to tackle a song like this I have a hard time believing you will embarrass yourself. Strange concept anyway that, the only person you let down if you DON'T do it, is yourself. So get over it and just do it.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 27, 2023, 03:19:54 PMIt's the change to the E flat Maj 7. It just feels such an awkward stretch from the previous.

That is a tricky one, I must say. Actually I don't think the guy in the video does it very smoothly, and neither did I when I tried it. There is a cheat for that though - play the EbMaj7 as a barred C shape, then you'll only have to move two fingers.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan