Bought a book recently?

Started by Slim, March 07, 2022, 10:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: captainkurtz on July 16, 2023, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: David L on June 13, 2023, 12:32:22 AM
Quote from: captainkurtz on June 12, 2023, 08:15:49 PMGeezer Butlers autobiography...
Does it include this :o  embarrassing episode?

"The thing with Geezer Butler, I think they were drinking one night and I think Geezer had some knife or something, and he flashed it at Malcolm," he began. He continued: "Malcolm took it off – there's a trick of getting knives away from people, so Malcolm immediately did that and he said, 'What are you gonna do now? - Angus Young
;D
It was a pocket comb, according to the Geez...
;D

Slim

Quote from: Slim on July 01, 2023, 10:47:07 PMIntrigued by this post by Dom I had a look at a few Slow Horses clips on YouTube. Ultimately though I decided to consume it in audiobook form; the original novel of course. I listened to the first couple of hours today while out on a bike.

It's about a department of the Secret Service where failed or disgraced agents go to serve out their careers doing menial work, in a sort of exile. I was reminded of Callan in some ways - it has the same gritty cynicism and wilful lack of glamour. I loved this description of Slough House, where it's based:

The yellows and greys that dominate the colour scheme aren't what they first appear .. the yellow isn't yellow at all, but white exhausted by stale breath and tobacco, by pot-noodle fumes and overcoats left to dry on radiators

This was very, very good - gritty, acerbic, cynical, but funny as well. Lots of duplicity and clever twists.

I'll download the next one in the series soon, Dead Lions.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

I've just bought The Physics Of Climate Change by Laurence Krauss. I've long been a fan of Krauss for his cosmology writings and lectures (there are a few on YouTube) as well as his rational examination of religious belief. I've bought the audiobook as well as the Kindle edition so I'll start to dig into it on my next bike ride.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Red Lenses

Read several books on holiday a few weeks back.......

Stewart Clyde - Black Beach 7/10

Chris Carter's Robert Hunter books :-
The Crucifix Killer 9/10
The Executioner 9/10
The Night Stalker 9/10
The Death Sculptor 9/10
One by One 9/10
An Evil Mind 8/10

and finished the holiday with
Denzil Meyrick - Dark Suits And Sad Songs 9/10

Slim

Quote from: Slim on July 18, 2023, 06:27:48 PMI've just bought The Physics Of Climate Change by Laurence Krauss. I've long been a fan of Krauss for his cosmology writings and lectures (there are a few on YouTube) as well as his rational examination of religious belief. I've bought the audiobook as well as the Kindle edition so I'll start to dig into it on my next bike ride.

This was very good indeed. There's only a few hours of it but it's packed full of interesting stuff about how CO2 levels are measured, how we can measure historic levels by analysing bubbles trapped in old ice, how we know what the effects are, experimentally, on temperature etc.

I'm now onto another Reacher novel, Nothing to Lose. Written in the third person, which I prefer. A bit simpler than some of the Reacher novels, so far at least, but I like that. While reading The Enemy a few months ago I was tempted to start taking notes so I could keep track of all the different characters, and maybe even print out a map. This one's a lot tighter and easier to follow.

There's a really brutal, violent fight scene in a bar. The consequences to some of the participants are grim. And no-one does grim quite like Lee Child.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Using some book tokens which we found yesterday and thought we'd spent (but hadn't), I shall be pre-ordering a couple of items. One of them being Geddy's autobiography, and the other being this tome which is due out shortly which I am quite excited about:

Worlds Beyond Time: Sci-Fi Art of the 1970s

Whilst I won't be purchasing from Amazon as they don't take book tokens, here is the item:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1419748696/

pxr5

^ That sci-fi art book looks great Reg. Have you heard of Simon Stålenhag? Link I've been meaning to get Tales From the Loop since watching the incredibly good TV Show from a few years back (I'm hoping they'll do a second series sometime) IMDb Link
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Turns out that I have, but without knowing it. I have seen some of the images from some of his books. I didn't know who it was though.

Tales From The Loop is another series I haven't got around to watching but with your recommendation, I really must remedy that.

Cheers  :D

David L

Before we came away I bought Uncommon People - The rise and fall of rock stars by David Hepworth.
It's the third of Hepworth's books I've read, his writing is well-informed and witty. A great read.

I'm now onto my second 'holiday book' which the wife bought and passed over to me a couple of days ago - The Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer. A page-turning novel in which Bob inhabits the character of the protagonist, Gary. If you enjoy Bob's surreal world-vision you'll love it. LOL moments aplenty.

dom

I got The Satsuma Complex from my sister for my birthday (along with the RHS Horiticultural bible) and I'm really enjoying it

David L

Quote from: dom on September 19, 2023, 09:22:40 AMI got The Satsuma Complex from my sister for my birthday (along with the RHS Horiticultural bible) and I'm really enjoying it
I'm preserving the remainder, probably finish it tomorrow, on the plane home from Menorca. Don't want it to end

Slim

Quote from: David L on September 19, 2023, 08:28:26 AMBefore we came away I bought Uncommon People - The rise and fall of rock stars by David Hepworth.

I like David Hepworth despite certain misgivings. I follow him on Twitter. This is available for £0.99 for the Kindle edition so I bought it. The audiobook add-on is £2.99 so I'll have that as well.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on September 19, 2023, 05:03:39 PM
Quote from: David L on September 19, 2023, 08:28:26 AMBefore we came away I bought Uncommon People - The rise and fall of rock stars by David Hepworth.

I like David Hepworth despite certain misgivings. I follow him on Twitter. This is available for £0.99 for the Kindle edition so I bought it. The audiobook add-on is £2.99 so I'll have that as well.

I also had misgivings about him because I always thought he was a bit 'up himself' when presenting music stuff on the telly. He had a sort of....'smarmyness' about him and appeared not very likeable. A good writer on the broad subject of pop and rock though - 'grown up' but also uses humour well when appropriate (such that I've smiled 'knowingly' many times whilst reading his books)

pxr5

Currently reading the sixth of The Millennium series - The Girl Who Lived Twice. This is the third and last one by David Lagercrantz, the first three were by Stieg Larsson. There is another set of three coming out by yet another author (Karin Smirnoff) and her first one has just been translated to English - The Girl in the Eagle's Talons (Millennium 7). The first 6 have all been superb, but the first 3 will always be the peak.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Reading Killing Thatcher by Rory Carroll - a painstaking work on the events leading up to the bombing of the Grand Hotel in Brighton in October '84.

It places the event in historical context and then starts in earnest with the assassination of Mountbatten 6 years earlier.

It covers in earnest the terrorists who planned the attacks and the police force who tried to catch them.

I didn't detect any particular partiality to either side and it certainly doesn't hide from the horror and brutality of the attacks from the IRA.

I'm about halfway through and I really can't fault it.