What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

dom

The Lost King. Decent film about the exhumation of Richard III.

Fishy

R6GYY

So. Finished The Last Of Us last night - polishing off the last 2 episodes in one sitting.

All in all a very good watch, and the 2 leads are exceptional.

R6GYY

Avatar : The Way Of Water is planned for tonight's home viewing (Disney+)

Fishy

pxr5

A movie last night - The Last Sentinel. An interesting idea where the world has flooded and there are only 2 land masses left who of course are at war with each other. In the middle of the ocean between these 2 areas is a Mausnell type Fort manned by 4 soldiers from one of the countries. Complete with a big artillery gun and a 20 megaton nuke the soldiers' 2 month tour continues as their replacements haven't turned up - then an empty ship appears. I really liked this and though it's quite slow the story was great. All the actors were top notch and it ended with a satisfactory conclusion. 8/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Just remembered I hadn't finished season 1 of Loki. So I caught up with episode 4 last night. Highly enjoyable hokum.

Also the other night I watched the highly anticipated 1st episode of the 2nd season of Foundation.

Red Lenses

Quote from: pxr5 on July 02, 2023, 04:28:43 PM
Quote from: R6GYY on July 01, 2023, 05:17:32 PMSilo finished now. Cracking ending to a great series.
Just finished too. And yes an amazing, twist of an ending - I never saw that coming. I notice that Silo is based on the books by Hugh Howey, I may give them a go.

Yep, thought the same when I finished the full season in 2 days at the weekend....downloaded the books the next day as I need to find out what happens next, last time I did that was when I watched The Maze Runner movie.

Now rattled through the first 7 episodes of From (Season 2), will finish it tomorrow....superb stuff again !!

Fishy

Just started Silo.. it's very good

R6GYY

Finished Loki. Started The Falcon And The Winter Soldier

Matt2112

Elemental

Took the little 'un to the local Vue to see this as part of a weekend of treats for an exceptional end of term school report. :)

I'll get straight to the point: as Pixar films go, this is a bit of a clunker.  It's clearly an allegorical morality tale about characters representing "fire" and "water", how they are on the face of it utterly incompatible but, guess what everyone, they can actually complement each other and even live in perfect harmony.

The "Fire" character is part of an immigrant fire family, running a shop in what appears to be a ghettoised part of the city.

Yes, it's all very unsubtle for the adults watching, yet too mired in symbolism for youngsters; hence the story isn't gripping at all, the script and dialogue are flat, and the set-pieces dull and uninspired. The film is just always trying too hard to be "worthy".

In fairness, there is a very good sight gag, but similar such sparky moments are very brief and few and far between.

All the above is why Elemental will I think not fare well compared with this year's The Super Mario Bros. Movie, which eschewed virtue signalling and any concessions to adult sensibilities in favour of pure, unadulterated, silly, manic, eye-poppingly colourful, escapist hokum aimed squarely at young kids' sense of fun; Pixar should be wary their crown doesn't start to slip too much.

Rating: **

Fishy

Fishy

Hijack ep5
Silo ep 2
World on Fire ep5

pxr5

Westworld Series 4. Series 1 was brilliant, 2 and 3 not so much - it all got too confusing so I've been putting off watching this, the final, series (cancelled after this). It's better than series 2 and 3, but still confusing. Half way through now then I can forget about it after 4 more eps.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."