What's made you grumpy today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: dom on May 04, 2022, 09:13:50 AMHow can a signwriter not know basic grammar? Unless its deliberate?
I see what you did there  ;D

Slim

In Coalville, just a few miles from where I'm sitting there's a new Barber's shop with a conspicuous signwriting failure. I might have a run out in the car and photograph it at lunchtime.

Years ago I took a pic at Hartlepool Marina of an establishment offering PIZZA'S and several other unnecessarily apostrophed delicacies, but I can't find it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Don't be to tough Slim, I am seriously dyslexic and I have to triple check everything I write and even then it is often wrong. But then I guess I would not be a sign writer. You do write nicely and persuasively (this is not kissing your arse you know me better than that), I only wish I could write as well as you. My wife who is a retired solicitor writes amazingly and can spell words I would not know here to start.

David L

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on May 04, 2022, 03:02:42 PMDon't be to tough Slim, I am seriously dyslexic and I have to triple check everything I write and even then it is often wrong. But then I guess I would not be a sign writer. You do write nicely and persuasively (this is not kissing your arse you know me better than that), I only wish I could write as well as you. My wife who is a retired solicitor writes amazingly and can spell words I would not know here to start.
Does dyslexia also affect the ability to recognise the correct use of punctuation marks? I've heard it referred to as "word blindness" and I'm wondering whether it would affect ones ability to adhere to rules such as those that dictate the correct use of the apostrophe. Interested

Slim

Quote from: Slim on May 04, 2022, 10:17:33 AMIn Coalville, just a few miles from where I'm sitting there's a new Barber's shop with a conspicuous signwriting failure. I might have a run out in the car and photograph it at lunchtime.

Got a snap on the way back from Kegworth an hour ago.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on May 05, 2022, 08:27:54 PM
Quote from: Slim on May 04, 2022, 10:17:33 AMIn Coalville, just a few miles from where I'm sitting there's a new Barber's shop with a conspicuous signwriting failure. I might have a run out in the car and photograph it at lunchtime.

Got a snap on the way back from Kegworth an hour ago.

If my area is anything to go by, a sign in Turkish would stand a better chance of being mistake free  ;D

Rufus_the_dawg

https://www.thebookseller.com/rights/prh-reveals-fearless-bono-memoir-set-for-autumn-release

Oh hell 40 chapters of Bono talking about himself, I guess he will not mention his tax dodging.

Apparently it will be downloaded on to your phone even if you don't want it.

Matt2112

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on May 11, 2022, 11:17:30 AMhttps://www.thebookseller.com/rights/prh-reveals-fearless-bono-memoir-set-for-autumn-release

Oh hell 40 chapters of Bono talking about himself, I guess he will not mention his tax dodging.

Apparently it will be downloaded on to your phone even if you don't want it.

The formidably talented band leader Bono of one of the greatest and biggest music acts of the past 40-odd years is releasing a memoir? I'm in. :)

pdw1

Came home from work to find that my son's girlfriend had a car drive into the back of her when she stopped at a red light. And a taxi too  >:(  >:(
No one hurt and superficial damage but the poor girl has only been driving for 6 months and was a bit shock up. At least the taxi company will have insurance

Rufus_the_dawg

David L

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on May 16, 2022, 11:16:15 AMtoo busy to be on here!!!
Come now, that's never the case. Get your priorities in order!

David L

BBC 5 Live News - "the Consumer Price Index jumped by 9% in April"

Matt2112

Somehow my latest two Blu-Ray arrivals from Cinema Paradiso includes the extras disc from Censor - the feature film of which I didn't particularly enjoy and which I appear to have ordered by mistake. It will be returned unwatched.*

* Fortunately, the other disc was what turned out to be a modern classic (review elsewhere). 🙂

dom

Awful news from Texas. All those young lives cut short in a mindless massacre. For all the problems in the UK and Ireland, they don't come close to the insanity of the US.

Apparently the biggest cause of death among children in the land of stars and stripes is by gunshot.

Completely bonkers

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on May 25, 2022, 02:33:38 PMAwful news from Texas. All those young lives cut short in a mindless massacre. For all the problems in the UK and Ireland, they don't come close to the insanity of the US.

Apparently the biggest cause of death among children in the land of stars and stripes is by gunshot.

Completely bonkers
All down to wilful misrepresentation of a Constitutional amendment made in a time when things were very much different to today.

And hey Seppos, don't forget the 18th Amendment no longer applies. Just sayin'