Main Menu

So what are you listening to?

Started by pdw1, February 22, 2022, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Quote from: dom on December 07, 2022, 07:10:39 PM
Quote from: Pudders on December 07, 2022, 05:55:27 PM
Quote from: Slim on December 04, 2022, 12:02:34 PMGenesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

As a teenager, browsing through the record racks in Hartlepool town centre on a Saturday, I was always really impressed by the cover artwork. I wasn't a Genesis fan and I didn't get round to buying it for another 25 years or so.

Every now and then (about once every seven or eight years) I listen to it all the way through - out of a sense of duty really, because it's one of the classic prog records. But I've never really found it very convincing.

I'm unashamedly a massive (early) Genesis fan but struggle with The Lamb. The first album is pretty good in fairness but after that it wanders of into some weird alternative universe, for me!

It has some great songs, particularly the title track,  In The Cage, Carpet Crawlers, Back In NYC, Counting Out Time, but there's an awful lot of filler to tell a not particularly interesting story

Yes first couple of sides are  great .. sides 3 4 get pretty ropey... I never understood the story at all and Tony Banks never liked it.. (the story )
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 07, 2022, 05:32:56 PMRush - Vapor Trails

Took a great photo of a high fly jet yesterday. The late afternoon sun changed the climate destroying evidence to a wondrous orange pink ribbon. This and the extremely cold weather inspired the need for a Secret Touch meltdown. Surely the most underrated Rush / Metal / Prog song ever.
Agreed. I love Secret Touch, in my top 10 of Rush songs ever, possibly top 5.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

captainkurtz

Fleetwood Mac - the alternative Tusk

pxr5

Marillion - Clutching at Straws
Marillion -  Script For A Jester's Tear

Nickslikk2112

dom

Giving Pantera a listen "This is Pantera" on Spotify - enjoying it!

pxr5

This evening's LPs:

Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet   blue vinyl
Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight     (a really great sounding vinyl this one; a shame they're all not as good as this is.)

Nick

Quote from: dom on December 08, 2022, 03:37:52 PMGiving Pantera a listen "This is Pantera" on Spotify - enjoying it!

Really no little of them, I understand the guitar player was reveared but from what I have heard they leave me cold.

pdw1

pxr5

Needlepoint - Aimless Mary
Echolyn- mei

then on Vinyl:
Pendragon - Love Over Fear

then on CD:
Echolyn - Suffocating the Bloom

dom

After the Pantera onslaught moved onto the gentler, more uplifting sounds of Airbag.

Identity and A Day at the Beach

The Picnic Wasp

The Stranglers - The Raven (R.I.P Jet Black)

Rush - Clockwork Angels

After the Precision of JJB's punchlines and exact timing I needed a fix of Geddy's flair and imagination on the Jazz. The Anarchist!!! Wow! That'll do. What a bass player. Charles Berthoud might be the best on the planet right now but he doesn't have that feel or that passionate right note at just the right time that makes Geddy otherworldly.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 09, 2022, 04:30:18 PMThe Stranglers - The Raven (R.I.P Jet Black)

Rush - Clockwork Angels

After the Precision of JJB's punchlines and exact timing I needed a fix of Geddy's flair and imagination on the Jazz. The Anarchist!!! Wow! That'll do. What a bass player. Charles Berthoud might be the best on the planet right now but he doesn't have that feel or that passionate right note at just the right time that makes Geddy otherworldly.
I listened to the side of the vinyl version that includes The Anarchist on a good system through a pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms (large, very good studio monitors) the other week - what a bloody racket!

No space around the instruments, compressed, poor dynamics etrc. Why they ever stuck with that Nick...what'shisname I'll never know. Terrible recording

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 09, 2022, 04:30:18 PMRush - Clockwork Angels

That is 100% nail on the head.  Watch Berthoud for the circus tricks; stick with Geddy et al for stuff you feel in your bones.

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on December 09, 2022, 04:39:11 PMI listened to the side of the vinyl version that includes The Anarchist on a good system through a pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms (large, very good studio monitors) the other week - what a bloody racket!

No space around the instruments, compressed, poor dynamics etrc. Why they ever stuck with that Nick...what'shisname I'll never know. Terrible recording

Studio monitors?  Surely those are designed to produce a very unforgiving, neutral sound as would be required for the purposes of 'recording' as opposed to purely 'listening'...?

That's not to say I don't use my own studio monitors for both purposes for convenience! :)