Climate Change

Started by Matt2112, July 24, 2023, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Slim

I saw that myself a few minutes ago. Will take quite a few electric car journeys to offset the contribution to CO2 emissions that a ship with nearly 3,000 vehicles on board causes when it catches fire due to a battery fault.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on July 26, 2023, 02:23:33 PMI saw that myself a few minutes ago. Will take quite a few electric car journeys to offset the contribution to CO2 emissions that a ship with nearly 3,000 vehicles on board causes when it catches fire due to a battery fault.

Indeed. Will be interesting to see if/how the BBC reports this tonight
;D

Thenop

Quote from: David L on July 26, 2023, 02:40:11 PM
Quote from: Slim on July 26, 2023, 02:23:33 PMI saw that myself a few minutes ago. Will take quite a few electric car journeys to offset the contribution to CO2 emissions that a ship with nearly 3,000 vehicles on board causes when it catches fire due to a battery fault.

Indeed. Will be interesting to see if/how the BBC reports this tonight
;D

Dutch TV all over this of course, happening right on our shores. The E car as a cause was mentioned as one of any possible causes. I bigger issue would be (in my opninion) fire safety in general on vessels such as these and the apparent difficulty getting off the vessel. People onboard were panicking, which is unfortunate and most of all: strange.
Clearly staff was not trained properly and life saving measures were not in order otherwise this could have been prevented. Not the fire, the personal injuries though.

Time will tell the actual cause of the fire, but yes batteries in general tend to be a source of ignition. Over here there's been a lot of talk about what we call 'scootmobiles'. Electrical carts for the elderly and handicapped. People often charge them indoors, leading to housefires when they ignite.

Let's what our daily news repots on it today, although they tend to be quite mild and factual. Depending on which broadcaster of course...

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on July 26, 2023, 02:04:17 PMOh dear, if true, this is unlikely to help EV sales.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/one-dead-in-cargo-ship-fire-electric-car-suspected-source-dutch-coastguard/amp_articleshow/102130440.cms

I think the 2030 ban on diesel/petrol cars is now a pipe-dream
Bicycles - pedal powered of course - now that's the answer :)

Matt2112

My emphasis:

Quoteour chosen means of transport, flying, incrementally wrecks the climates, prospects and lives of the places being flown to.

Bizarre take.  Not flying wrecks the prospects and lives of the places being flown to - countless folk trying make a living in tourist destinations depend on the travel and tourism industry to keep them from falling into poverty.  Whatever happened to the"Make Poverty History" narrative of the finger-wagging far left?  It's been supplanted by the Current Thing.

The Picnic Wasp

It dawns on me that I shouldn't really post another opinion on this, being one of the culprits from a generation which helped to cause it. Trips abroad were a rare treat for me as I wasn't financially comfortable in my younger days, but at least I had the blissful comfort of ignorance to allow me to fully enjoy those Ibiza days and the very odd stag trip. Modern MSM stinks. Imagine spelling mistakes in BBC captions forty years ago. Heads would have rolled. I loved flying, mostly as I was a plane fanatic and the whole airport, flying part was my holiday highlight. But they're mostly two-engined planet hating monsters now. Not much different from the alien craft in War Of The Worlds. I think if I was younger a career in MSM might have suited me. You don't have to be any good. Anything further that I might offer the younger generations would be entirely patronising.

Slim

Aviation accounts for about 2.5% of global CO2 emissions which is quite a lot, but (I don't have the figures) at a guess a lot smaller than power generation and manufacturing.

What proportion of that figure is caused by passenger travel though? When I cycle past East Midlands Airport as I did on Tuesday for example, typically I see two or three freight aircraft on the tarmac. When the stuff that Amazon pushes through my door arrives, usually it's come from China, probably by air. But sea transport apparently causes nearly as much CO2 emission as aviation.

In any case some people travel by air a few times a month. Some people have their own planes so I honestly wouldn't give a second thought to going on holiday to Europe once or twice a year.

Just googled this:

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-transport

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Interesting. I opened Flightradar24 and selected a few random larger jets. More often than not passenger aircraft (one Nippon Cargo) in my quick search. I take a couple of valuable lessons from those figures though. Be more vigilant when buying online or  preferably buy from a store and collect myself. It also has to be said that the UK importing as much as possible from Europe rather than further afield seems logical, but that's a completely different can of worms.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 27, 2023, 10:47:32 AMMy emphasis:

Quoteour chosen means of transport, flying, incrementally wrecks the climates, prospects and lives of the places being flown to.

Bizarre take.  Not flying wrecks the prospects and lives of the places being flown to - countless folk trying make a living in tourist destinations depend on the travel and tourism industry to keep them from falling into poverty.  Whatever happened to the"Make Poverty History" narrative of the finger-wagging far left?  It's been supplanted by the Current Thing.
Trouble is, people don't tend to holiday in the true Poverty parts of the world, not even Grauniad readers.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on July 27, 2023, 11:27:18 AMImagine spelling mistakes in BBC captions forty years ago. Heads would have rolled.
Don't get me going on that!
The Beeb are always banging on about "Fact Checking" and "BBC Verify" yet they can't even proof-read their website articles or TV captions. I quite often see headlines on their website which are so badly worded that they mean the opposite of what they want to say.

Still, at least from watching Countryfile that it is a nailed on FACT that our seasons are all going to be warmer and summers drier. FAKT.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

David L

Maui fires. Obviously climate change got the blame. Well, it's possible(?)that it was partly down to negligence.
There's a lawsuit against the power company who ignored warnings to shut down the power lines as a hurricane tore into the island. Apparently the fires were started by sparks from power lines. Additionally, reservoirs were not maintained full, recommendations to thin tinder-dry, non-native grass was ignored and evacuation sirens were not employed for fear of driving people towards the flames.
Like most catastrophes, it could well have been an unlucky combination of a number of human errors, plus a couple of natural ones, that proved disastrous. Unlikely to hear any of the former discussed on MSM.