Inflation/cost of living

Started by Nick, August 09, 2022, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

No smart meter for me. I don't want people having control over my usage, no siree! Not quite tinfoil hat time, but not far off.

pdw1

Quote from: Nick on March 17, 2023, 08:46:42 PMMust get myself a smart meter
why? So they can cut you off when ever they want without warning?

Fishy

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 17, 2023, 07:32:45 PMHow much of a difference the mild weather makes: our "smart" meter shows way under a cost of £2.00 for today's gas use so far - it reached that before midday when it was freezing recently.
Got smart meters installed in December then they forgot to charge us for gas in Jan and feb.. I had to bloody well tell them ffs..
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 17, 2023, 09:08:07 PMNo smart meter for me. I don't want people having control over my usage, no siree! Not quite tinfoil hat time, but not far off.

I'm not a fan myself, but it's inherited and I'm also averse to the robbing bastards unilaterally setting a DD at a piss-taking amount.

David L

The third US bank to fail recently, Signature, cut ties with Donald Trump some time ago because of the events of Jan 6th.

Go woke, go broke  ;D

David L

Inflation unexpectedly jumps to 10.4% for February (0.5% above the prediction). Means that it's more likely that BoE will raise rates by 0.5%, putting more strain on the banking sector.
I can't understand why diesel prices remain so high, must be a huge factor in high prices.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Basspedalman on March 22, 2023, 05:35:36 PMZERO reason for diesel being 20p more per litre than diesel.
Can't disagree with that :)

Fuel duty should increase dramatically. It's been frozen for years even though it should have gone up. Let's price car drivers off the road. ON YER BIKES YER BRAIN DEAD DRIVISTS!

David L

Quote from: David L on March 22, 2023, 08:44:45 AMInflation unexpectedly jumps to 10.4% for February (0.5% above the prediction). Means that it's more likely that BoE will raise rates by 0.5%, putting more strain on the banking sector.
I can't understand why diesel prices remain so high, must be a huge factor in high prices.
Of course, I meant 0.25%!

Although, BoE governor, Andrew Bailey is threatening the country with another rise if companies continue to raise prices. I'm a bit bemused tbh. I'd have thought that energy price is a huge component of inflation and is pegged to natural gas prices. The peak of natural gas prices was March 2022. In a month or so, I would have thought that inflation would fall as the energy price hikes fall out of the inflation calculation. Why are the BoE intent on ramping up rates at the moment?
They seem content to force millions more into difficulties and possibly drive small banks to the wall.
As a saver, I guess I should be happy  :-\

David L

In the US the Federal Reserve has made its tenth consecutive interest rate rise
It's almost as if they want to put regional banks out of business

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/shares-two-more-us-banks-131606957.html

Predictably, the ECB is playing the same dangerous game. Probably means another rate rise on the cards in the UK. Could end in tears

David L

Quote from: David L on May 04, 2023, 05:36:42 PMIn the US the Federal Reserve has made its tenth consecutive interest rate rise
It's almost as if they want to put regional banks out of business

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/shares-two-more-us-banks-131606957.html

Predictably, the ECB is playing the same dangerous game. Probably means another rate rise on the cards in the UK. Could end in tears
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-12047369/amp/ALEX-BRUMMER-Central-banks-lose-plot-fight-against-inflation.html

David L

Quote from: Basspedalman on May 11, 2023, 05:59:21 PMRaising interest rates to deal with SUPPLY SIDE inflation is just insane...
Agreed

Quote from: Basspedalman on May 11, 2023, 05:59:21 PMThe inflation we have is caused by the war in Ukraine and Brexit.
You forgot the main ones, pointless lockdowns and printing money

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Basspedalman on May 11, 2023, 05:59:21 PMRaising interest rates to deal with SUPPLY SIDE inflation is just insane... The inflation we have is caused by the war in Ukraine and Brexit. If it was caused by people spunking money everywhere then fine, but it isn't. The pointless Austerity years since 2010 have killed the spending power of the middle and working classes but given the 1% a huge bonus. Inflation would come DOWN quicker if you lowered interest rates and the economy might actually grow if people didn't have to spend an extra £600 per month on their mortgages and could actually spend it in the real economy instead. This country is utterly screwed.
I think it's fantastic news. I've got savings :)

I think you should also take a look at what other central banks are doing too, it isn't just happening in the UK and there's no point giving people more money to spend as that would start to add demand inflation to the supply side.

If only people didn't want it all and want it NOW things would be a lot better. Thank goodness for being a prudent accountant.

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on May 11, 2023, 07:20:18 PM
Quote from: Basspedalman on May 11, 2023, 05:59:21 PMRaising interest rates to deal with SUPPLY SIDE inflation is just insane... The inflation we have is caused by the war in Ukraine and Brexit. If it was caused by people spunking money everywhere then fine, but it isn't. The pointless Austerity years since 2010 have killed the spending power of the middle and working classes but given the 1% a huge bonus. Inflation would come DOWN quicker if you lowered interest rates and the economy might actually grow if people didn't have to spend an extra £600 per month on their mortgages and could actually spend it in the real economy instead. This country is utterly screwed.
I think it's fantastic news. I've got savings :)

Me too  ;D

captainkurtz

And what interest rates are your banks offering?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: captainkurtz on May 11, 2023, 09:31:47 PMAnd what interest rates are your banks offering?
Not enough :(

Have a slight leaning towards a Tesco 5 year deal of 4.6% could be worth a punt, but I need to do more looking - by the time I'm done rates will be heading down again...