Ian Lavender Has Died

Started by Slim, February 05, 2024, 01:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Sad news. Oddly, two weeks ago over Sunday dinner the other half and I were talking about Dad's Army. She commented that all of the cast are dead now. I corrected her, but I think that's true now.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Oh no that's sad news indeed. I was watching a Dad's Army episode recently and thinking all the actors were now dead (apart from Ian). But he's surely the last. RIP 'stupid boy'
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

The Curse of Dad's Army strikes for the last time :(

When I was at Birmingham University, I lodged with a family one year and the head of the house had been at School with Ian Lavander.

For living cast members, a bit of research reveals that Caroline Dowdeswell who played Captain Mainwaring's secretary in series 1 is still living and Michael Knowles who played Captain Cutts in five episodes. Plus Therese McMurray who played "Girl in Haystack"

Slim

Well I'm glad to hear that, but I was referring to regular cast members. Especially glad to know that Michael Knowles is still with us. As well as being an It Ain't Half Hot Mum regular he was also a scriptwriter and adapted the Dad's Army TV scripts for radio in the '70s. I have a documentary about that somewhere, perhaps I'll upload it to YouTube or Soundcloud.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Sad that.. was a real fave series when I was growing up...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

This came up in my YouTube suggestions. A bit eerie. Arthur mentions that he's often asked when Dad's Army is coming back, and he replies that "half of us are dead now". A few hours after this appearance he collapsed and fell unconscious from a stroke, then died in the early hours of the morning. April 14th, 1982.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan