All of Us Strangers

Started by Slim, January 31, 2024, 11:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I read a review of a new film featuring Andrew Scott and was really intrigued by the idea, that of a middle-aged man who has a dialogue, as an adult, with his parents who died when he was twelve. Actually I think my interest was piqued because I do something similar myself, not with my parents, but as a way of confronting a different irreducible contusion from my past.

So I told Mrs G about it, just as a conversation point. And before I knew it, I'd been railroaded into going to see it at a cinema in Loughborough, which I did tonight.

This was actually the first time I'd been to a cinema in at least 15 years, and the occasion didn't get off to a fantastic start. We took our seats to find ourselves behind two improbably sweaty, remarkably obese gentlemen in grubby clothing, filling their faces with chocolate. One or both of them stank like a pig farm in a heat wave. Twenty minutes of overloud adverts didn't help either and we were far too close to the screen. Despite this there were about eight rows in front of us - how you'd watch a film from the front row in this place I have no idea.

Anyway we relocated to the back just before the film started where conditions were thoroughly agreeable and I really enjoyed this film. It's low key, it's affecting and it's very human. There are only four characters and everyone puts in a good shift but Andrew Scott and Claire Foy (his mum) are really, really brilliant. Incredibly natural performances.

I'd only actually seen Andrew Scott in two things before this, a Fleabag episode and Spectre.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I saw this. Deeply moving film. I can only imagine how much more moving for anyone who'd lost parents at a young age.