Main Menu

Shane McGowan Has Died

Started by Slim, November 30, 2023, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I hope you like Fairytale Of New York, because you'll be hearing it quite often over the next few weeks.

Fortunately, I do.

Sad news, but I'm amazed he made it to 65.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

It's a wonderful song and a real tearjerker. Even more so now. He truly was a fascinating character and very talented songsmith.

RIP

Thenop

I like the earlier Pogues when going out, but it's not something I'd play at home.

He left his mark, that's for sure.

RIP

captainkurtz

Not a fan of the song or the pogues, but the older I get the sadder I am when a respected artist - even one I'm not a fan of - passes.

Must have been very difficult for his loved ones over the last few years - he looked in pretty awful shape.

RIP, I'll raise a cup of tea to him tonight.

pdw1

There's your Xmas number 1

David L

Quote from: captainkurtz on November 30, 2023, 05:25:16 PMNot a fan of the song or the pogues, but the older I get the sadder I am when a respected artist - even one I'm not a fan of - passes.

Must have been very difficult for his loved ones over the last few years - he looked in pretty awful shape.

I think they were used to him looking in pretty awful shape, tbf

David L

A fan of the pork and herb delicacy made famous by Brains, I recall
;D

Matt2112

In 2014 I was on "chaperone duty" at a gig in Hyde Park where The Pogues were second on the bill.

For every other song, McGowan simply disappeared from the stage, presumably to get more pissed.  For the songs for which he was on stage, he sounded unintelligible and out of breath.  I remember thinking he was surely short-changing his audience but of course the crowd absolutely lapped it up.  Fair play to the guy.

Yes, Fairytale is wonderfully evergreen; I hope the "original" version prevails for its countless radio plays over the next few weeks.