Mobile Telephony is 50 years old

Started by Slim, April 03, 2023, 12:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

The first mobile phone call was made 50 years ago today, in New York.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65112048

But six years later, the technology was still in its infancy as this Tomorrow's World piece from 1979 shows. Sometimes it's hard to believe I was alive in those times.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Interesting. It seems car phones using radio signals were introduced (if you could call it that) as early as 1946 by Motorola. Was not aware of that.

The Picnic Wasp

Incredible. A mobile with a dial. It really has been warp speed advancement since those days. I remember in the nineties when I had become used to owning a mobile myself, being absolutely stunned when colleagues were swapping photos between their devices. My phone didn't even have a camera at the time, which still wasn't an unusual situation for then. However, the moment which floored me was when the office gadget geek appeared with a Blackberry one morning. When I went over to have a look, the small screen was displaying the Google logo. No way surely!
He couldn't be on the internet - on his phone. That moment, and the time I stood in a music store witnessing Cubase on an Atari, were my technology Epiphanies. I doubt very much that anything of a technological nature will ever fill me with such awe again. AI is insanely incredible, but its possible consequences are too frightening for me to enjoy its existence.

David L

50 years.......and still unreliable  >:(

Nick

Quote from: David L on April 03, 2023, 05:34:04 PM50 years.......and still unreliable  >:(

I'll take unreliable(which I don't find) over queuing up outside a red phone box stinking of piss.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."