Pink Floyd song recreated from listeners brain activity

Started by Thenop, August 16, 2023, 12:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Neuroscientists managed to sort of extract Another Brick in the Wall from a group of 29 listeners by placing electrodes and measuring brain activity.
Fascinating as it is scary..  8)

https://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.3002176

The Picnic Wasp

I suppose there must be medical benefits from such a huge body of work. I can only hope so, otherwise why?

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 16, 2023, 12:41:17 PMI suppose there must be medical benefits from such a huge body of work. I can only hope so, otherwise why?
"Our findings show the feasibility of applying predictive modeling on short datasets acquired in single patients, paving the way for adding musical elements to brain–computer interface (BCI) applications."

Absolutely fascinating.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on August 16, 2023, 02:01:42 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on August 16, 2023, 12:41:17 PMI suppose there must be medical benefits from such a huge body of work. I can only hope so, otherwise why?
"Our findings show the feasibility of applying predictive modeling on short datasets acquired in single patients, paving the way for adding musical elements to brain–computer interface (BCI) applications."

Absolutely fascinating.

I won't pretend that I completely understand that sentence. All  I can gather from it is that one day humans won't need companies like Focusrite to get our music into computers. We'll just need a small sticking plaster on our head to write, perform and record any music we can conjure in our brain, direct to the cloud, or whatever comes after the cloud.

The Picnic Wasp

.......and assuming that information can be passed in various directions, we won't even have to talk to each other any longer. Just select which individual(s) you wish to share information with, and voila. Progress? Only as a technicality.

Thenop

It's a bit more than that. Music is just an experiment, it's more about people that have had (for instance) a stroke and something is blocking the brain function to get to the surface. By using the brainwave pattern and deriving the info from that, people can 'speak' even though the automatism of speech is not there.

The Picnic Wasp

That's fantastic. Having experienced a TIA in the past it makes you even more sensitive to hearing or reading that word. The article was far too complex for me to extract that knowledge from it, so thank you for enlightening me.

Thenop

Not taking credit for that, I heard a neuro scientist explain it on the news.
But yes, fantastic applications ahead.
We have been so busy looking outward, it's about time we face inward for answers.