Main Menu

Kiss are done - or are they?

Started by Thenop, December 03, 2023, 06:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Last night was the last ever Kiss show - by their own admission. But Kiss is not Rush, when they stated it was over, it was really over.
What did Kiss do right? Well, they ended it where it all began for them: New York City. I often wondered why Rush decided to end it where they did instead of doing it in Toronto.

So is it really over? I don't think so. This is what I am contemplating:
Private gigs - they did them in the past, if a bag of money is dangled in front of them they will bite.
Kiss Kruise - they have been doing this for some 10 years and it will continue. Now who would go on a Kiss Kruise without getting the main attraction?
And lastly, the so-called 'new era', they have been 'immortalized' as avatars, same way that ABBA did. I am sure this will be touring the world, at least once to test the waters. And the first time will probably be succesful as well. It might become a Las Vegas staple, I wouldn't be surprised. Biggest thing for me: they used Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer, understandable but it would have been a great gesture to the fans and original band if they had brought in Ace & Peter for this endeavor.

So, are we done with the band? As a touring entity: yes they are 100% done.
Now, will I go see the avatar thing? I am on the fence. On the one hand I think: Money Machine, on the other hand I am really curious what they came up with.

Anyway, only time will tell, here is the avatar clip thingy:

The Picnic Wasp

Kiss must be the only band in existence which lends itself entirely to this process. The guys in Rush were always quite open about not really having an easily identifiable image, and tried the various fashion options of their day without settling anywhere.

I'd be interested to see an avatar performed show but I think a filmed version would suffice. I would think that the sound in such a show would be spot on, without fails, but I don't think that's what a live show should be. I like to hear the odd mistake or glitch just to feel that I'm watching actual humans that I really admire.

I don't think Geddy or Alex truly wished to finish with that gig and Toronto must have been where they would have preferred the curtain to come down. As for their future I think they could write and record songs like Subdivisions until the cows come home, and I would be delighted to buy and enjoy it, but I don't think it would pay the rent. Stupid internet.

Slim

While I can see both sides of the argument, if indeed there is one, I think the decision to use Tommy and Eric is probably the right one. For one thing, if this is - in some way - a continuation of the band, then where's the sense in bringing back two ex-members who probably couldn't even do the job now if they were brought back in real life?

For another - would Ace even be able to do all those moves and poses for the 3D motion sampler, or whatever it's called? I suppose his face could have been digitally substituted into the Tommy hologram. I bet Gene's has been slimmed down.

I think Tommy has been in the band longer than Ace ever was by now. I think that's true of Eric as well. So I feel they deserve the respect of being included in the avatar show.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Hopefully they can make Eric Singer's avatar look less bored than Singer has looked for the last decade...

Going back to the Nop's original post...it doesn't look like Rush is over...hopefully they'll be shrewd enough to call it something else, a la Page & Plant.