Main Menu

Share a Tune With the Class

Started by Slim, February 28, 2023, 02:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Fishy on April 01, 2023, 06:27:43 PMCheese and Onions https://g.co/kgs/EnNGkM

The Rutles

A masterclass from Neil Innes in nicking all the hooks and familiar tunes from the Beatles and turning them into a wonderful new bunch of songs
The film itself is just great and funny and so spot on

I have the album somewhere. Very cleverly done.

Nickslikk2112

Inspired by Neil Innes? Here's the Dukes of Stratosphear and the Mole from the Ministry.

Slim

First heard this on Huey Morgan's 6 Music show while out on a bike about three years ago. I have a few of the albums now but nothing else comes close to this tune for me. I love this sort of West Coast / Jazz / Soul kinda thing.

By the way those are the girls from Haim near the end of the video.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

And in a similar vein, the wonderful Benny Sings.

Benny is actually from The Netherlands; real name Tim van Berkestijn. This was co-written by the lovely Mayer Hawthorne who no doubt will feature in a later post in this thread.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Back in 1989, I was a huge John McLaughlin fan. This was about the time that Channel 4 had got into the habit of putting esoteric music stuff on TV in the early hours of the morning, and one night at about 1:30 AM, they broadcast a sort of double bill of concert material featuring McLaughlin playing with Jonas Hellborg in France, followed by John Scofield playing in Denmark.

I'd never heard of John Scofield but I had plenty of space on the VHS tape I'd inserted into my parents' VCR which I'd set to record the programme, so I thought - why not? I went to bed and left it to do its thing.

The next day I played back the whole thing and I was blown away by the Scofield set, and especially this tune, Blue Matter, which I uploaded to YouTube about twelve years ago. A few weeks later I had four or five Sco albums.

What amuses me is that my upload now has over 250,000 views, so it's almost certainly been seen by more people than saw the original broadcast it was recorded from.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

For me the Holy Trinity of Sco albums are Still Warm, Blue Matter and Loud Jazz which would have been the three most recent albums at the time of the broadcast I taped above. I like some of his later stuff, but not that much to be honest. A Go Go is quite nice.

I think my single favourite Sco tune is Signature Of Venus, on Loud Jazz. I love this tune that features Sco as well, from Marc Johnson's Bass Desires. It's like an aural vodka martini. With a lemon twist. Although Bill Frisell's participation is the highlight of this for me.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I am quite fond of Gov't Mule and they did a collab album with Scofield: Sco-Mule

Edit:ok not sure why not but the YouTube link is not working.

pxr5

SikTh - How May I Help You? Another song/video that I caught out of the blue on MTV one day. This sort of music is really not my normal style but SikTh (with a bit of effort and repeat listens) really struck a cord with me for some reason. I love the energy and the way the 2 vocalists bounce of each other. It's extreme certainly but melodic and catchy too. Anyway this was the first I heard from them and I've liked the band ever since. This video is rather comical too and the subs help a lot - and it's a love story haha. There is a very quick glimpse of the band a part way through.

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Quote from: pxr5 on April 27, 2023, 09:07:58 PMSikTh - How May I Help You? Another song/video that I caught out of the blue on MTV one day.

That's brilliant, downloaded the album.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on April 27, 2023, 11:40:44 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on April 27, 2023, 09:07:58 PMSikTh - How May I Help You? Another song/video that I caught out of the blue on MTV one day.

That's brilliant, downloaded the album.
Wow. Glad you liked it. Another favourite of mine is Such the Fool. I did have the album  "The Trees Are Dead & Dried Out Wait for Something Wild" on CD, but that went with all my other CDs to MusicMagpie a few years ago.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

In 1974, George Harrison and Ronnie Wood each released versions of a song they'd written together called Far East Man. The song is a wistful reflection on friendship; they were having affairs with each others' wives at the time, and I suppose it must be quite the bonding experience. I haven't tried it myself.

I much prefer Ron's version. George can be heard on background vocals here, although he wasn't allowed to be credited for contractual reasons. Urban legend (and Wikipedia) has it that he plays the slide guitar part as well, though I highly doubt that. Ron was always a brilliant slide player; George was marginally competent at best. If you listen to George's version the slide guitar part is pretty crude and basic. No doubt George played that one.

There's a notable soul influence in this tune; Ron was always a soul fan and I think that's what sets him apart from the other celebrated British blues and rock players who emerged in the '60s - Peter Green, Clapton, Beck, Page. The Faces often used to cover old Motown tunes in their sets.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

This wicked slice of dark funk was composed for a film called Black Dynamite, which as far as I can tell is an homage to the Blaxpolitation movies of the '70s.

Despite that, it was recorded by two middle-aged white Englishmen, one of whom was the drummer in The Shadows.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

I was watching some recreational adult art fiction recently, and as the mature woman who had a prominent role in the piece started to disrobe for her massage, my attention was drawn to the incidental music. Rather smooth, I thought. So I put Shazam to work, and it turned out to be this:

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Kandace Springs and an old Stylistics tune. This is a bit better than her album version which is a bit flat. Here she plays with David Sanborn's band as part of his "sessions" series. Seems to have been taken down, but someone else has uploaded a copy.

The bass player on this is killing it, don't know who he is but bravo.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan