Main Menu

Wonka

Started by Matt2112, December 29, 2023, 03:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Just back from a promo showing at Elland Rex (unadvertised, free entry by voucher, free popcorn and drinks for the kids) and this is one of the better family films I've seen this year.

Director/co-writer Paul King (he who gave us both Paddington films) ensures things breeze along during its near two-hour running time that establishes an origin story of the titular character.

Timothee Chalamet is a fine choice for the leading role and well supported by game turns from familiar British comedy faces, the standouts being Hugh Grant as a hilariously snooty Oompah Loompah, and Olivia Colman, who throws herself into a villainous role with relish.

While it doesn't quite hit the considerable heights of the Paddington films this is good, solid, family fun that kids of all ages will enjoy.

Rating: ***

David L

Missus watched it yesterday, enjoyed it

R6GYY

Caught this today - my first cinema visit of 2024.

Paul King has put a grin on my face through both Paddington films, and now this.

'Man of the match' to me was Paterson Joseph as one of the 3 chocolatiers that out young Willy Wonka is up against.

Oh - and Tom Davies as the sleazy Bleacher is great teamed up with the delightful Olivia Colman's Mrs. Scrubbit.

The while cast look like they are having so much fun.

Highly recommended!