Main Menu

Oppenheimer

Started by Matt2112, September 06, 2023, 10:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

This likely needs no introduction, so I'll dive right in.

I thoroughly enjoyed this and it kept me engrossed throughout its 3-hour running time; Cillian Murphy is very good indeed as you'd expect, while Robert Downey Jnr shows he can still deliver a great performance in serious movies.

Christopher Nolan's dialogue fizzes and crackles resulting in some terrific scenes of verbal sparring; the first meeting between Oppenheimer and Brigadier General Groves (an excellent Matt Damon) being a standout.

And one of the best scenes Nolan has directed appears toward the end as Oppenheimer delivers a rousing speech while internally being wracked by the consequences of what he was instrumental in creating.

So this is certainly deserving of all the critical and commercial success since its release several weeks ago now; the only slight and very forgivable reservation I had was that because there are so many characters involved with the story it results in some pivotal figures relegated to near-cameo roles, even with the lengthy running time.

But overall, this is a bona fide epic on multiple levels which I firmly expect to sweep the board at the next Oscars.

Rating: ****

Footnote: I saw this in an otherwise empty auditorium during a lunchtime showing at the nearest Showcase - as the credits rolled, the usher came in to tidy up, despite there being no need; as I left I said to him, "Thanks for the private screening!"  But he didn't seem to get it. 🙄

pdw1

I saw this last month at an IMAX theatre and agree with your review. It is an excellent film.
It some ways it reminded me of Hamilton but the singing is not as good. It is a story about a lot of politics and administration with almost no action (apart from the big bang near the end) and yet it is completely engrossing as the characters and story telling are so good.

And yes it will probably sweep the Oscars

Slim

I'm going to have to watch this as a sort of three part miniseries I think, when the BluRay hits the shelves.

Actually come to think of it I did once watch an actual miniseries with a similar theme in a single sitting, I was so engrossed. The original Edge of Darkness.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan