Parky has died

Started by Slim, August 17, 2023, 09:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I was sad to hear that Michael Parkinson had passed on. Many memories of watching his show in the '70s. Appearances by Bette Midler and Sammy Davis Jr stand out particularly, and Billy Connolly of course. Oh yes and Peter Sellers.

I remember an odd moment when he was sitting in for Barry Norman on Film 86. An overtly homo-erotic clip from Derek Jarman's film Caravaggio was shown. After it concluded, Parky gave a very disapproving look to the camera and did a little "I'm a teapot" thing with his right hand; a gesture that I think would be construed as homophobic today.

He did some rubbish daytime telly in the '80s and afterwards, so I was glad his old show had a comeback in the '90s. The very first one was shown on the first night of my seven years in London. I'd just moved out of my girlfriend's house (ie we'd split up) and I was staying at a little hotel in Golders Green. Tiny little room at the top of the house. I only stayed there two nights. There was a little telly, I turned it on the first night and lo and behold - a new series of Parkinson.

My stepdaughter met him, sort of, when she was at Nottingham Trent Uni. She was in the gym lying on the floor, and looked up to see Seb Coe and Parky looking down at her. Must have been an odd moment.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Surprised he was only 88. Dicky Bird's well upset.

RIP Michael Nosnikrap

The Picnic Wasp

I was very saddened to hear of this. He was such a part of our family's TV life when I was growing up. It was a real joy to gain insight into the lives of the stars like, James Stewart, James Cagney and the rest, at a time when there was very little access to their lives. The way it should be as it preserves the magic. It was surreal to watch Billy Connolly on these shows, as in the early days of his career I would often still see him around the village, popping in or out of a local hostelry or shop, or driving around in his distinctive custom built Mercedes estate. Then as the years and Parky appearances increased, becoming this international superstar comedian / actor. Chat shows nowadays aren't worthy of the name, having become just an element of the self / book / film / album / tour promotional merry-go-round. We're running out of the good guys. RIP Sir.