Rugby World Cup

Started by dom, September 08, 2023, 07:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

This probably sounds bitter but something is wrong when the best 4 teams in the World meet in the quarter finals. The NZ vs Ireland and S. Africa vs France games were the pinnacle of World rugby. Everything that comes now is sn anti- climax

dom

In terms of the game tonight, France were brilliant in  the first half and really should have been further ahead at half time. Unfortunately they were undone by the South African high kicking game from where they scored all their tries. The South African scrum just got stronger and stronger as the game wore on. France did all they could to hold on but mistakes crept in and that told in the end.

A titanic battle, worthy of a final.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on October 15, 2023, 09:59:26 PMThis probably sounds bitter but something is wrong when the best 4 teams in the World meet in the quarter finals. The NZ vs Ireland and S. Africa vs France games were the pinnacle of World rugby. Everything that comes now is sn anti- climax
It sounds very bitter :)

The Paddies are out GREAT!!!!
The Frogs are out GREAT!!!!

Does it all matter? NO!!! It's only Rugger.

dom

Continuing the bitterness theme, the only thing that will give me any satisfaction in the rest of this tournament is for England to get absolutely tonked in the semi-final. Hopefully S Africa get at least 40 points next Saturday evening with England in single figures

pxr5

^ Well that didn't happen. England undone by a couple of dubious scrum penalties and that's what SA needed to win. The best side lost in my opinion. Hopefully NZ will stuff the South Africans next week.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

The conditions and England ferocity really prevented SA from taking control. Fair play to England they found form as the tournament went on. The rugby football union do really have questions to answer though as to how the best 4 teams met in the quarters and not the semis. Wrong semis, right final at least

David L

Incredible drama at the end but how I wish it was easier to understand the rules and refereeing decisions. When the ref has to spend considerable time explaining his calls to the players, it's too complicated. I don't think there can be any other sport where so many watching have so little idea of what's going on  :-\