Rugby World Cup

Started by dom, September 08, 2023, 07:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

Starts tonight with a cracker of an opener with hosts France taking on New Zealand. Wish I was neutral so I coud properly enjoy a game that could well prove to be a classic.

Instead of course I'll be rooting for France. I'll be delighted with a 9 - 6 game as long as les bleus win

Nickslikk2112

Seven bloody weeks of it FFS!!!

Come on Kiwis, show the Cocks who's top bird!

pxr5

A good first game if a little nervy. I see the Kiwis are getting pulled up for things they used to get away with in the past. They don't look anywhere near as good as they used too. 
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

dom

Not the team they were for sure. France seemed there for the taking and NZ would have fully capitalised in the past but they seemed unsure of themselves. France gained confidence as a result and were deserved winners in the end.

With both teams certain to go through it was essentially a glorified friendly with no teal advantage to be gained from finishing 1st or 2nd. Not sure how important that psychological edge will prove but France have it!

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 08, 2023, 10:27:31 PMSupport French Rugby Union and you're a Nazi

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news-vichy-france-rugby-league-22146/

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I always knew that le jeu a trieze was less popular than union but didn't know why.

Not sure I'd draw the same conclusion as you, mind!

pxr5

These decisions (Curry's red card) are ruining Rugby for me. In fact it could have easily have been a red card for the Argentinian if that was the case - he came off worse so not his fault - eh?

pxr5

More inconsistency. A more deliberate head on head collision from SA's Keir wasn't even looked at today against Scotland. This stuff really needs sorting out.

pxr5

A super game between Wales and Fiji yesterday. If that poor Fiji winger had just caught the ball instead of knocking on right at the death they would have beaten Wales. Either way it was the most exciting game so far. A shout out to Chile too, who were surprisingly good against Japan.

pxr5

Fiji beating Australia - wowsers - the last time was 69 years ago.

David L

I've never been able to understand fully the myriad rules. It seems those that play don't either!
Can't see why knocking the ball forward with the head can now not be used more creatively to gain advantage

pxr5

Blimey, Wales were pretty good today but Australia were awful in every aspect - may be it's the Eddie Jones effect.

pxr5

I don't often give up on a game, but watching Ireland embarrass Scotland was one tonight. I know Ireland are number 1 but the Scots were dire - especially in a game they had to win. In saying that England earlier were an embarrassment too despite a very lucky win.

pxr5

Hmm, so England are the only UK/Ireland team to reach the semi finals. And for those who say they've had an easy run, 2 of the teams from their group are in the SF (England and Argentina). I doubt they'll make the final though with France or SA to come.

pxr5

France v South Africa QF - The best half of Rugby Union I've ever seen. Just incredible by both sides. The yellow card for SA on half time could be telling, but I really can't call this one. Either way, England will lose in the SF.