Voyager 1

Started by Slim, May 18, 2022, 07:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

I haven't read the article yet, but wouldn't those atom remnants (whatever they might be) still be moving in the initial direction? What becomes of the theory that matter can't be created or destroyed? I should really read the article first.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on April 11, 2023, 08:59:02 AM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 10, 2023, 08:27:33 PMJust occasionally, when I stretch my mind in a certain way thinking about this, I experience a strange pit of the stomach sensation connected to trying to fathom that space never ends and that Voyager may travel infinitely. It's not just vastness, it's forever, possibly but probably.

It won't travel infinitely. Eventually, even if it never collides with anything, all of its atoms will decay and there'll be nothing left.

Supposedly there will come a time when nothing larger than an atomic particle exists in the entire Universe.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/a43129531/how-will-the-universe-end/

Wow! Quite a read. Makes religion seem easy by comparison.

Slim

Religion is indeed very easy.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Really nice short piece about the (now ancient) technology used on the Voyager probes, published a few days ago:

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on April 11, 2023, 02:10:51 PMReligion is indeed very easy.

Indeed: the supernatural + dire adverse consequences for not obediently believing it, et viola!

As Douglas Adams put it: isn't the garden beautiful and fascinating enough without believing there are faeries at the bottom of it too?

Slim

Voyager 1 may be coming to the end of its useful mission, not counting the possibility of being discovered by aliens. Warning: the guy's voice is very irritating.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Yes, irritating but interesting. Boggling should be a much more respected adjective.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on August 15, 2023, 03:32:37 PM
Quote from: Slim on April 11, 2023, 02:10:51 PMReligion is indeed very easy.

Indeed: the supernatural + dire adverse consequences for not obediently believing it, et viola!

As Douglas Adams put it: isn't the garden beautiful and fascinating enough without believing there are faeries at the bottom of it too?

I know that pointing out spelling and grammatical mistakes online has become offensive, but I love this one which I missed the first time around. I hope the angels at the foot of your garden eventually show you the rewards of believing in a good God, who might bestow on you the mastery of the larger violin.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

I asked about Voyager during our dark skies thing last week in Hexham.. it's just the sheer vastness and distance that just makes your brain melt.. fascinating stuff
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

Voyager-1 sends readable data again from deep space https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68881369
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Quote from: Fishy on April 23, 2024, 01:43:50 PMVoyager-1 sends readable data again from deep space https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68881369

"the issue was resolved by shifting the affected code to different locations in the memory of the probe's computers"

Amazing to think of people moving code around in the RAM of a computer system that's 15 billion miles away and hasn't been physically touched for 46 years, by using a very slow and weak radio link.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on April 23, 2024, 01:57:25 PM
Quote from: Fishy on April 23, 2024, 01:43:50 PMVoyager-1 sends readable data again from deep space https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68881369

"the issue was resolved by shifting the affected code to different locations in the memory of the probe's computers"

Amazing to think of people moving code around in the RAM of a computer system that's 15 billion miles away and hasn't been physically touched for 46 years, by using a very slow and weak radio link.

I started to try to imagine one billion miles as an understandable concept. I fully understand the number and what it signifies, but one thousand million miles is staggeringly difficult to absorb. Times that by fifteen and it becomes a pointless exercise of brain energy, and to think that in cosmological terms it's not even that far away.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 23, 2024, 02:33:55 PM

I started to try to imagine one billion miles as an understandable concept. I fully understand the number and what it signifies, but one thousand million miles is staggeringly difficult to absorb. Times that by fifteen and it becomes a pointless exercise of Brian energy, and to think that in cosmological terms it's not even that far away.

It's actually pretty close, despite the fact that it takes the light of the sun nearly a day to get there. If you were perched atop it with a paperback in one hand, you could probably read it by sunlight, just about. A bit like moonlight I think.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: Slim on April 23, 2024, 02:46:25 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 23, 2024, 02:33:55 PM

I started to try to imagine one billion miles as an understandable concept. I fully understand the number and what it signifies, but one thousand million miles is staggeringly difficult to absorb. Times that by fifteen and it becomes a pointless exercise of Brian energy, and to think that in cosmological terms it's not even that far away.

It's actually pretty close, despite the fact that it takes the light of the sun nearly a day to get there. If you were perched atop it with a paperback in one hand, you could probably read it by sunlight, just about. A bit like moonlight I think.

Is it using that solar power to get the on board computers, transmitters etc to work?

Edit - Google was able to answer that pretty definitively...

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/frequently-asked-questions/fact-sheet/

QuoteThe Voyagers travel too far from the Sun to use solar panels; instead, they were equipped with power sources called radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs). These devices, used on other deep space missions, convert the heat produced from the natural radioactive decay of plutonium into electricity to power the spacecraft instruments, computers, radio and other systems.