Main Menu

Bought any Vinyl Recently?

Started by pxr5, March 02, 2022, 09:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Even though I keep a spreadsheet for all my orders (don't judge unless you've been there) I still managed to have the new Sumerlands lp turn up twice from 2 different shops today  :o  ;)  ::)

Oh well, at least it's a good album. And I'll find a good home for the excess copy...

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on October 13, 2022, 08:28:04 PMEven though I keep a spreadsheet for all my orders (don't judge unless you've been there) I still managed to have the new Sumerlands lp turn up twice from 2 different shops today  :o  ;)  ::)

Oh well, at least it's a good album. And I'll find a good home for the excess copy...
spreadsheets are good

Thenop

Quote from: pdw1 on October 13, 2022, 08:28:53 PM
Quote from: Thenop on October 13, 2022, 08:28:04 PMEven though I keep a spreadsheet for all my orders (don't judge unless you've been there) I still managed to have the new Sumerlands lp turn up twice from 2 different shops today  :o  ;)  ::)

spreadsheets are good

Life changing good, yes.

Nickslikk2112

Oceans of Slumber - s/t (Purple Vinyl)

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

Record presents I received for my birthday, with a little prompting from me of course, haha:

Pendragon - Not of this World
Pendragon - Love Over Fear
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood    (I used to own this but got lost in one of my many house moves)
Scorpions - Lovedrive    (Another I used to own)
Marillion - F.E.A.R.
Dream Theater - Octavarium

pxr5

I eventually managed to get hold of mint copy of Pendragon's first album The Jewel. Not well loved, but it's my favourite of theirs.

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on October 09, 2022, 05:51:58 PMTrue, More groove space equals more bass :-) I like it and some audiophile releases do it. I have some Mastodon 2LPs on 45rpm, first presses they did.

And they sound a lot better. (they were also more expensive).
I see with the increase in vinyl interest more mainstream releases get the 45rpm treatment as well.

The CD format is the obvious solution.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on October 29, 2022, 11:13:18 AM
Quote from: Thenop on October 09, 2022, 05:51:58 PMTrue, More groove space equals more bass :-) I like it and some audiophile releases do it. I have some Mastodon 2LPs on 45rpm, first presses they did.

And they sound a lot better. (they were also more expensive).
I see with the increase in vinyl interest more mainstream releases get the 45rpm treatment as well.

The CD format is the obvious solution.

I just don't mlike the look and feel of the format. It is too small, it feels cheap and plastic. But I do get that you get more for your money.
It's matter of taste I suppose.

David L

A nice pre-owned copy of Caravanserai by Santana from a seller on Discogs  :)

Ali

£12 got me these 3 S/H:

McAuley Schenker Group - Perfect Timing (complete with mullet-tastic front cover 😂)

Roger Glover - Mask (purely out of curiousity)

Sammy Hagar - Live Loud & Clear (red vinyl, got it on black vinyl on release but for only 4 quid, it'd be rude not to 😉)

David L

Another purchase from Discogs arrived yesterday, Kansas - Song for America.
A Music On Vinyl, 180g re-issue listed as used, near-mint vinyl with a VG sleeve, I was somewhat taken aback to find what appeared to be a still-sealed, unopened, new LP inside the cardboard mailer.
Lovely-sounding copy with deathly-quiet surfaces, even between tracks - superb pressing.
The vinyl gods are looking down on me at the moment  ;D

Thenop

Quote from: David L on November 18, 2022, 07:21:52 AMAnother purchase from Discogs arrived yesterday, Kansas - Song for America.
A Music On Vinyl, 180g re-issue listed as used, near-mint vinyl with a VG sleeve, I was somewhat taken aback to find what appeared to be a still-sealed, unopened, new LP inside the cardboard mailer.
Lovely-sounding copy with deathly-quiet surfaces, even between tracks - superb pressing.
The vinyl gods are looking down on me at the moment  ;D

It took a while before MoV found their bearings - early pressings where hit and miss and the quality of the artowk subpar. But as of lately, say the last 10 years or so they have improved tremendously. Dead silent vinyl and great mastering, often limited pressings and doing the not so obvious albums as re-issues.
Really like Song for America as well - excellent choice.

Ali

Picked up a new copy of Purpendicular by the Purps in Camden Market last Friday when I was down for the PT gig

One of my top 3 Purple studio albums 👌

Thenop

The 40th ann. Number of the Beast. Bit pricey but I just had to have it. I was 11 when I pressed my nose against the shop window in our little town and was mesmerized by the cover. I had a fair collection of Kiss albums but this looked fierce. I ran home, plundered the piggy bank and went back to buy it. I will never forget hearing the spoken intro to tNotB - the labels were not telling me which side was which, so I started with side 2. I was blown away by everything: the music, the sound (oh my!), the intensity. I fell in love with the album right then and there, first play. Til date still my favourite Maiden album.
So yes, the 40th ann. needed to be in my collection. Funny thing is though, I always liked Gangland and it feels weird to have Total Eclipse replacing it, Gangland not even being on the album at all!